advertisement

British symphonies which should be programmed in our concert halls

marshanp

ellipsis addict
John Gardner: Symphony no. 1. A war symphony which looks forward into a better world. Just what we need at the moment. It gets a wonderful, definitive performance from the RSNO under David Lloyd-Jones in its only recording:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classic...ner-john-symphony-no-1-in-d-minor-op-2/browse

How come we never get a chance to hear this live? It is every bit the equal of Walton's First.

Other contenders: Havergal Brian's 10th (his one truly great work, in my opinion), Alwyn's 5th and Arnold's 9th. Move over, Beethoven, Brahms and Tchaikovsky - this is the music we need to hear in our concert halls!

Any more suggestions?

In fact, come to think of it, it's simple: you put Sheku Kanneh-Mason in the first half to fill the hall, then you give them something they don't know in the second half. So...

Walton Cello Concerto, Gardner First Symphony
Bloch Schelomo, Tyberg Third Symphony
Shostakovich First Cello Concerto, Arnold Ninth Symphony

Everybody (including the bean-counters) goes home happy, some with expanded musical horizons.

Tippett symphonies 1, 2 and 3. Symphony 4 would need some creativity with a breath machine.

Tippett symphonies 1, 2 and 3. Symphony 4 would need some creativity with a breath machine.
Well, it has been performed, so it can't be that problematic.

I've never heard Moeran's symphony in the concert hall, and I don't suppose I ever will.

Malcolm Arnold 1st symphony.

Powerful, dramatic, melodic, beautiful.

I think it's a masterpiece.

John Gardner: Symphony no. 1. A war symphony which looks forward into a better world. Just what we need at the moment. It gets a wonderful, definitive performance from the RSNO under David Lloyd-Jones in its only recording:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classic...ner-john-symphony-no-1-in-d-minor-op-2/browse

How come we never get a chance to hear this live? It is every bit the equal of Walton's First.

Other contenders: Havergal Brian's 10th (his one truly great work, in my opinion), Alwyn's 5th and Arnold's 9th. Move over, Beethoven, Brahms and Tchaikovsky - this is the music we need to hear in our concert halls!

Any more suggestions?

Listening to it now..... its the 2nd movement scherzo that is the problem..... playful lightness doesn't work with this style of music and it sounds utterly contrived. 1st movement was good though.

^... Perhaps the scherzo is the "remembering happier times" bit of this war symphony. :)

Listening to the Gardner 1st for the first time atm. Liking it quite a bit.

VW’s 6th. There’s no substitute for a good tune (to paraphrase him) and this certainly works for me.

VW’s 6th. There’s no substitute for a good tune (to paraphrase him) and this certainly works for me.
Have you heard Rozhdestvenky's recording from his complete set of the symphonies?
He takes about 50% longer in the final movement than anyone else - truly an apocalyptic landscape.

Not listening to anything at the moment, Jerry, being on one leg (as disclosed in private message) but I’ll definitely seek it out in the fullness of time, ta.

advertisement

Back