advertisement

Brit Awards David Bowie Tribute

I watched the Brits as a proud father (one of the kids dancing). Lorde sang really well. Adele got pissed and said rude words. Ant or was it Dec wore a dress. And these were the highlights.

The Bowie tribute was actually really good and quite moving. Lorde came on and fronted his band, after they effortlessly shuffled through the highlights of some of his best known tunes.

She was dressed in monochrome and sang Life On Mars, in an understated yet powerful way. The performance was about Bowie and the opposite of Lady Gag's appalling impersonation.

Apparently Lorde met Bowie with Tilda Swinton in 2013. He was a fan and said she sounded like "Tomorrow."

Jack

I thought Lorde was rubbish. Her voice was weak and did no justice to the Bowie song. I also think it should have been sung by a man who can belt out a tune. bloody opinions.

The Brits hasn't been worth watching since the KLF played it. It wasn't worth watching before that point either.

It's totally illogical, but I cannot abide the word 'Brits'.
We call them Yanks and they call us Brits, so ( presumably ) all must be well...

I thought it was sincere and heartfelt. Whatever you think of Lorde, and I think she is interesting, Bowie believed she was talented. I thought she brought an honesty to the performance that more so called celebrated singers would have missed in their performance. I was worried that they may have wheeled out Bono. Gary Oldman was a close friend and his touring band knew him more than most. What more do you want? I think Bowie would have like it. His son certainly did.

it brought a lump to my throat
Lourde meh

That sums it up for me too.
Thing is though, I much prefered Annie Lenox's & Gary Oldman's heartfelt words to the performance of his music.
It is pointless anyone doing a Bowie song now, it is a fantastic song but it was just empty, not Bowie. I have heard Rick Wakeman's piano version of Space Oddity, & that would have been more appropriate in my opinion, just the music & no vocal.

That sums it up for me too.
Thing is though, I much prefered Annie Lenox's & Gary Oldman's heartfelt words to the performance of his music.
It is pointless anyone doing a Bowie song now, it is a fantastic song but it was just empty, not Bowie. I have heard Rick Wakeman's piano version of Space Oddity, & that would have been more appropriate in my opinion, just the music & no vocal.

spot on chap

Lorde's only 19, I don't like her voice personally but if David thought well of her it will be good to watch and see what happens....

Just watched on youtube, sorry I don't get Lorde, she does not sing well at all, its not even 'unusual'. Perhaps I need to listen to some of her music, perhaps bowie music does not translate to her voice or something.

Sorry I disagree. Lorde was fine, and Bowie thought her talented so a better choice than wheeling out Wakeman, so too Gary Oldman who was a friend. Annie Lennox with her OTT celeb quivering grated.

I like Lorde, it must have been a hard thing to do but she seems the right fit to have done the tribute.

I didn't like Lorde before she butchered all apologies (nirvana) and I don't want to risk hearing her take on Bowie.

Sorry I disagree. Lorde was fine, and Bowie thought her talented so a better choice than wheeling out Wakeman, so too Gary Oldman who was a friend. Annie Lennox with her OTT celeb quivering grated.

I think you're right about Lorde and Oldman, I was quite shocked how bad Annie Lennox was, she's a great singer and I have heard her talk before.

Annie's 'speech' used one overbuilt artistic description after another and had a little vein of spirituality thrown on top. It made my toes curl listening to it

Jack

It was understated and classy with Mike Garson on piano and Lorde with her wonderful voice.
I agree, the performance was in good taste & well performed, if only she could have performed a couple of tracks at least instead of the inane blabbering by ant & dec, the show could have halved if it were'nt for these two.

Agree also that Annie Lennox would have David Bowie reaching for the remote, bit over the top & toe curling.

advertisement

Back