advertisement

Bristol Show 2024

My plan did come together.

I played through KEF R3 Meta and Reference Fidelity Components Rubato, which is a reflex two-way coaxial with a very solid ply cabinet at £2000. I was very happy with both but you all know the KEFs so I'm going to talk about the Rubatos.

The first thing to notice about them is that they go much deeper than you would expect from a speaker of this size and weight - Paul of RFC tells me they comfortably reach 40Hz and I can confirm that they produced a deep, rich and very tuneful sound. It was easy to hear the pitch and timing of every hemidemisemiquaver right down in the low registers of acoustic and electric bass alike. At the end of the show we pushed them a bit and they also go loud and stay clean until you really go too far. Their output is going to be more than enough for any reasonable domestic listening, and they are quite efficient if you like to festoon your room with those pretty glowing things. We had several people say that our room was among the best they had heard at the show, and I found the rich deep sound organic and beguiling.

Being co-axial, with moderately narrow front baffles they had great imaging, disappearing laterally and producing a great illusion of instrument distance. No ten-foot-high violins with these. They also had a lot of realism and snap. I had no sense of any region of uncertainty wherever crossing over takes place, so midrange instruments sounded very life-like indeed. I can't fault them in any way, so if you're in the market for a beautifully and cleverly made two-way stand-mount in that price bracket I urge you to give them a listen. This is a brand new speaker but I hear that orders are already rolling in so you will probably get them sooner if you waste no time.

I did manage to pick up a Naia and a P10 the night before the show. I mounted a Blackbird on the P10 for Friday morning, so we were up and running, but it got very busy very quickly and I could not find ten minutes to install cartridge on the Naia and set it up. A massive thanks to Mark (YNWAN) who offered to set it up while I was gassing to visitors - there are few people I would trust as firmly to do so. He did warn me that he was suspicious that, as is often the case, the VMN540ML may not have seated and clicked in fully, but in the excitement I did not check it. The Blackbird install had been a bit pressured too so although we did some a/b comparisons on Friday I did not feel that we had either deck quite right. The majority of listeners, including I, seemed to prefer the Naia on the majority of tracks even though it was considerably quieter.

On Saturday morning I spent an hour setting up both decks from scratch, and this time I felt they were both a lot closer to their full potential. I swapped the styluses between the two decks several times but could hear nothing to suggest they were different. The Naia sounded superb, and I could feel it's authority and flow, but despite that I felt the P10/Blackbird just edged ahead on dynamics, drama, timbral variety and resolution of timing. To me it felt a bit richer, but even though I'm trying to be objective I know it's impossible for me because I have a horse in the race.

A visitor, to my amazement (;-) suggested DSOTM when Roy Gandy arrived so I was able to introduce the patron of these two wonderful turntables. He and I sat in the back row for an a/b of 'Money' and Roy was so polite that I noticed he was even tapping his foot while the P10/Blackbird was playing. A true gent! And a surreal experience.

On Sunday, eventually, we got a Blackbird going on the Naia with an AT33SA, and for me this was the best we achieved during the show.

Altogether a lot of fun and a very interesting experiment. I thought the Rega decks sounded great. They are also very beautiful objects with their Terminator T-1000 finished arms and exo-skeletal chassises.

And almost nobody noticed the naughty amps behind the curtains ;-)

I can't wait for next year's Bristol show!

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice the new Hegel integrated with onboard MM phono stage? The H190v. I think it's the only model to get the upgrade. Playing through Amphion speakers, it sounded OK in between the chatter.

Only a few manufacturers had the nous to consider room acoustics / treat their room and many sounded bloody awful. Neat was an exception and sounded great as did Lyngdorf, but that's easy for them with room perfect. The A/B comparison of RP on/off was not subtle.

My plan did come together.

I played through KEF R3 Meta and Reference Fidelity Components Rubato, which is a reflex two-way coaxial with a very solid ply cabinet at £2000. I was very happy with both but you all know the KEFs so I'm going to talk about the Rubatos.

The first thing to notice about them is that they go much deeper than you would expect from a speaker of this size and weight - Paul of RFC tells me they comfortably reach 40Hz and I can confirm that they produced a deep, rich and very tuneful sound. It was easy to hear the pitch and timing of every hemidemisemiquaver right down in the low registers of acoustic and electric bass alike. At the end of the show we pushed them a bit and they also go loud and stay clean until you really go too far. Their output is going to be more than enough for any reasonable domestic listening, and they are quite efficient if you like to festoon your room with those pretty glowing things. We had several people say that our room was among the best they had heard at the show, and I found the rich deep sound organic and beguiling.

Being co-axial, with moderately narrow front baffles they had great imaging, disappearing laterally and producing a great illusion of instrument distance. No ten-foot-high violins with these. They also had a lot of realism and snap. I had no sense of any region of uncertainty wherever crossing over takes place, so midrange instruments sounded very life-like indeed. I can't fault them in any way, so if you're in the market for a beautifully and cleverly made two-way stand-mount in that price bracket I urge you to give them a listen. This is a brand new speaker but I hear that orders are already rolling in so you will probably get them sooner if you waste no time.

I did manage to pick up a Naia and a P10 the night before the show. I mounted a Blackbird on the P10 for Friday morning, so we were up and running, but it got very busy very quickly and I could not find ten minutes to install cartridge on the Naia and set it up. A massive thanks to Mark (YNWAN) who offered to set it up while I was gassing to visitors - there are few people I would trust as firmly to do so. He did warn me that he was suspicious that, as is often the case, the VMN540ML may not have seated and clicked in fully, but in the excitement I did not check it. The Blackbird install had been a bit pressured too so although we did some a/b comparisons on Friday I did not feel that we had either deck quite right. The majority of listeners, including I, seemed to prefer the Naia on the majority of tracks even though it was considerably quieter.

On Saturday morning I spent an hour setting up both decks from scratch, and this time I felt they were both a lot closer to their full potential. I swapped the styluses between the two decks several times but could hear nothing to suggest they were different. The Naia sounded superb, and I could feel it's authority and flow, but despite that I felt the P10/Blackbird just edged ahead on dynamics, drama, timbral variety and resolution of timing. To me it felt a bit richer, but even though I'm trying to be objective I know it's impossible for me because I have a horse in the race.

A visitor, to my amazement (;-) suggested DSOTM when Roy Gandy arrived so I was able to introduce the patron of these two wonderful turntables. He and I sat in the back row for an a/b of 'Money' and Roy was so polite that I noticed he was even tapping his foot while the P10/Blackbird was playing. A true gent! And a surreal experience.

On Sunday, eventually, we got a Blackbird going on the Naia with an AT33SA, and for me this was the best we achieved during the show.

Altogether a lot of fun and a very interesting experiment. I thought the Rega decks sounded great. They are also very beautiful objects with their Terminator T-1000 finished arms and exo-skeletal chassises.

And almost nobody noticed the naughty amps behind the curtains ;-)

I can't wait for next year's Bristol show!
Richard, which TT was I listening to? Friday early afternoon, the one on the left. Was that the P10? There were just three of us punters at the time, with yourself, and your colleague stood by the window (was that Mark btw?)

What were Neat using?
I wasn't there but I did see some videos. Looks like they were using the new light oak rega P3 an Atoll 300 series amplifier / all in one, and various speakers from their new classic speaker range ie Elite, Petite and Mystique. Although only on YouTube the Mystique sounded very good and familiar as someone who has had Neat speakers previously. Likely I will go back to Neat in the future, really like / miss the liveliness of their presentation.

Richard, which TT was I listening to? Friday early afternoon, the one on the left. Was that the P10? There were just three of us punters at the time, with yourself, and your colleague stood by the window (was that Mark btw?)
The deck on the left was the P10/Blackbird. My colleague is Alex. Mark was experiencing the show on Friday afternoon.

He was at Tannoy when I went up there to hear the Westminsters in the early 90s. Decent chap as I recall.
He is indeed. We share not only loudspeaker design history with TGI plc but also a fondness for Garrard 301/401s and classic Jaguar Land Rover products!

It was interesting to hear the Fyne supertweeters at the show (which were superb IMHO) as my first experience of supertweeters was when he sent a set of the then new Tannoy ones down to us engineers at Goodmans to have a play with - must have been around 2002. We were all impressed.

Did anyone else hear the Pearl Acoustics, I see a couple of brief mentions in the thread?
Whilst I was not at the show, I had some attendees message me about the Pearl Acoustics valve/tube amplifier. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who attended to share their thoughts.

Did anyone else hear the Pearl Acoustics, I see a couple of brief mentions in the thread?
i made a special effort to hear these at cranage having been banging on about them for many years on forums . must say though they didnt blow me away . but you cant rely always on show sounds of course

PMC Active & Prodigy 1 Good Stuff
No order Best Sound
Kerr Acoustic K320 MkIII
RFC Rubato
Rusell K Red 50SE
Audionote Field Coil AN-E/SPx LTD
Quested VH3208
Epos ES7N
Coppice X3

£200k Linn & £100k Dynaudio/Naim both bloody awful

If you're talking about the surprisingly large reflex cabinets housing ~5-inch one-way 'full range' drivers, then yes, I was invited into that room by a very charming fellow, and had a couple of my records played. The deck was a Planar 10 IIRC and there were some sort of tube amps, single-ended I think. Initially it was a shock to hear the narrow frequency band after spending three days in my own room which had pretty good extension, but I persevered and I was able to enjoy the music in the frequency band that was present, probably 90% of what matters.

The claim was made that other systems exaggerate the frequency extremes and I have to admit that once my ears got used to it, I felt no great appetite for 'air' or 'heft', but I still think that this system was limited in an obvious way, and I didn't feel that there was some revelatory coherence in the midrange that multi-way speaker systems entirely lack. In fact, and this is an admission against interest, I thought it sounded slightly artificial in the ways that valve-driven systems often do: added texture masquerading as original detail - initially seductive, but unreal.

I would be nervous of using it for an informal late-night boozy stomp. I like to crank it up every now and then, and I have a feeling that doing so would expose why this is not a common solution. It was certainly interesting but the scales did not fall from my ears. Worth hearing, but not everybody's cup of tea - that was my conclusion.

I really liked them. The tone of the music just sounded right, nice and open with body.

I think I was in the fyne room just before and I much prefered the sound in the pearl room. I wasn't that impressed with the fyne speakers considering how much they were.

If you're talking about the surprisingly large reflex cabinets housing ~5-inch one-way 'full range' drivers, then yes, I was invited into that room by a very charming fellow, and had a couple of my records played. The deck was a Planar 10 IIRC and there were some sort of tube amps, single-ended I think. Initially it was a shock to hear the narrow frequency band after spending three days in my own room which had pretty good extension, but I persevered and I was able to enjoy the music in the frequency band that was present, probably 90% of what matters.

The claim was made that other systems exaggerate the frequency extremes and I have to admit that once my ears got used to it, I felt no great appetite for 'air' or 'heft', but I still think that this system was limited in an obvious way, and I didn't feel that there was some revelatory coherence in the midrange that multi-way speaker systems entirely lack. In fact, and this is an admission against interest, I thought it sounded slightly artificial in the ways that valve-driven systems often do: added texture masquerading as original detail - initially seductive, but unreal.

I would be nervous of using it for an informal late-night boozy stomp. I like to crank it up every now and then, and I have a feeling that doing so would expose why this is not a common solution. It was certainly interesting but the scales did not fall from my ears. Worth hearing, but not everybody's cup of tea - that was my conclusion.
Not wishing to distract from the thread by discussing a product that wasn't at Bristol [proceeds to do exactly that...] but have you heard the Eclipse loudspeakers from Fujitsu Ten? The egg-shaped, single driver jobbies. I agree very much with your observations about '90% of what matters' and once you're acclimatised, not missing the frequency extremes overmuch, but one thing the Eclipse do do, IME, is the 'revelatory coherence in the midrange bit'. The downside is low efficiency and an inability to move lots of air, so they are late night, or small space solutions, not party animals. But if you've had your interest piqued by the Pearl Acoustics, the bigger Eclipse is worth getting to know. If not as a viable proposition for you personally, then at least as a glimpse of what so many people find so seductive about single driver speakers.

I didn't get into the Pearl Acoustics room, every time I got there, it was closed and the very pleasant guy said it was full and asked me to come back later. I heard them at Cranage last year, IIRC. Interesting speakers, but not for me.

I really liked them. The tone of the music just sounded right, nice and open with body.
I can imagine that they'd suit old jazz LPs, since they have a reduced bass output anyway, very well. If they integrate with a sub too they'd be very interesting.

I can imagine that they'd suit old jazz LPs, since they have a reduced bass output anyway, very well. If they integrate with a sub too they'd be very interesting.
The Pearl room was one of the best in the show, my friend was looking for a speaker that can work in a small room, we returned for a 2nd visit and wasn’t disappointed.

advertisement

Back