advertisement

Bristol Show 2024

Not as many "highlights" as last year for me. In fact there was one - in a strange way. The Supatrac room had a pair of Kef R3s (or it might have been the R3 Metas) and to me they sounded brilliant. I've wanted to hear a pair for a while as I am considering them for my living room system. Now I want them!
On Friday the Supatrac room was using KEF R3 Meta, but on Saturday and most of Sunday he was using the outstanding Reference Fidelity Components (RFC) Rubatos (similar size and similar money at £2,000.00).

Yay! I’ve just been to the Bristol Show from the safety of my own couch! I took my cat with me, who slept through most of it. Everything sounded as I expected it to; all the big heavy multi-driver array speakers so terrible the mic picked up what I hate about them, single drivers and point-source far more alive and coherent, mini-monitors great, and all the best kit driven by valves!

PS Was the Audio Note room at the end re-dubbed in post-production? It sounded so laughably better than anything else on the video it has to have been, surely?

PS Was the Audio Note room at the end re-dubbed in post-production? It sounded so laughably better than anything else on the video it has to have been, surely?
Yes, it’s re-dubbed, I don‘t think it’s actually the room at all, it’s some other music! If you listen right to the very end, you do briefly hear the gear in the room and the audio’s the same as the rest of the video.

I enjoyed it. The main AudioNote room sounded superb. The Electrocompaniet mono blocs in the Elite Audio room sounded great. The active ATCs mentioned above were good as were the large Dynaudios. A great day out.

Last edited:
I nearly didn't go today - the countdown on the website at 2 mins past midnight this morning said the end of the show was in 0 days 0 hours and 0 mins ! the numpties.

But i did go - it was great fun. I enjoyed many more systems than previous visits. Chatted to some of my hifi heroes including Lee Taylor from Leema, and Harley Lovegrove from Pearl Acoustics.

Best in show for me were -

Sugden IA4 into Proac D2
Coppice Audio X3 (never heard of them before)
Harbeth NLE3 (f.expensive)
ATC SCM50a (as above)

Interesting how different people have different highlights.

My low point was arriving at the Focal headphone stand at 4 pm today, to find them packing everything away !

- 'Ere mate, the show closes at 5 pm and I've paid good money to get here today' etc etc

Hadn't seen a Linn exhibit in many many years so I was very interested.
I went back twice...just to confirm to myself that they had 'Space Optimised' all musicality out of their system. I found it surprising they didn't realise how bad it was sounding while still tapping their feet.

Also found it bizarre that the speakers were active in the bass and passive in the mid and treble....and who ever designed the aesthetics of those new amps needs to be sacked....they should look at the new Naim 300, they looked awesome.

Can anyone identify the band/female singer playing in the Exposure room from 1:06:28? I’m a sucker for a good female vocal but I’m struggling to identify her. Same thing happened with a video of of the Falcon room at a show a few years back. Not sure if I’ve never heard it before and forgotten or my old brain is going to mush!

A few of my compatriots were unimpressed with the Linn room too. The only time it came alive for me was the LP12-50 playing the Abbey Road Half Speed Master 40th anniversary 12" of The Specials 'Ghost Town' - I stayed for all of that

Can anyone identify the band/female singer playing in the Exposure room from 1:06:28? I’m a sucker for a good female vocal but I’m struggling to identify her. Same thing happened with a video of of the Falcon room at a show a few years back. Not sure if I’ve never heard it before and forgotten or my old brain is going to mush!
You might want to try Shazam. Google hasn't a clue using lyrics from 2(?) songs "the big wheel goes turning round and round" and "grandad tell me your story who was she what was her name did you leave her happy or sad" :rolleyes:

Shazam isn't identifying it, and I'm getting zero results googling lyrics. Unusual, and tough one!

Tried Shazam with no joy and done a lyric search as well. The voice just sounds familiar but I may be imagining that.
The track used in the Falcon demo was also not listed on any of the above searches!

Here’s the female vocal in the older Falcon demo, starts at 3:15 approx

It’s always good to hear new music that’s not purely a “demo” track at these shows so I try to look into the artists if possible!

Lyn Stanley? Very charming lady who cares about audio. She's a Technics ambassador and in her room she played mp3, high rez, studio master and test discs on a Technics GR2, Technics integrated, Harbeth small monitors on some crazy stands which incorporate a sub. She also performed live alongside her recordings. Sadly I was a bit busy and did not have the chance to take it in.

At the Newport Beach Show several years ago Andrew Jones was with TAD and demonstrating a system. He asked for requests and someone said "do you have female vocals" to which Andrew Jones replied "only if I'm startled in the shower" :)

Yay! I’ve just been to the Bristol Show from the safety of my own couch! I took my cat with me, who slept through most of it. Everything sounded as I expected it to; all the big heavy multi-driver array speakers so terrible the mic picked up what I hate about them, single drivers and point-source far more alive and coherent, mini-monitors great, and all the best kit driven by valves!

By far the best way to experience the show!

One of the first rooms I visited was Linn, and looked like a pretty flagship system so what's that these days - £200K?
Horrible shouty, compressed and congested noise.
At home in my office I run a big super-wide curved monitor below which sits a Bose soundbar of the type used for home theatre.
Music though that from PC sounds more enjoyable!

Neat room sounded decent and so did the new little Epos.

Interestingly Tannoy and Fyne were everywhere with large displays. Both seem to be blatantly copying each other to quite ridiculous degrees. I'm aware of the whole China v UK think with Tannoy but you'd think they'd show some originality.
I bought some Legacy Eaton about 6 months ago new from a dealer and they have a clearly visible UK sticker 'manufactured in the UK' on the back so who knows what's going on.

advertisement

Back