advertisement

Bristol Show 2024

I had a great day, very civilised and a bit calmer than last year.
Top sounds for me:

ProAc D20R driven by Exposure 3510CD and 3510 integrated
Harbeth P3... with new 'Nelson' column stand subwoofer thing
Linn multimillionaires' system (360 speakers, new monoblocks)
Focal new Arias with Naim Nova - the £1200 ones looked good but didn't hear those
PMC active 23s
Neat Mystiques
Michell Tecnodec (first hearing for me, sounded as good as a Gyro!) with Arcam A25 and PMC Prodigys
Diora speakers - I heard the Chors 5 small floorstander which are definite contenders
T+A all-in-one plus Epos ES7

Very quick entry if you have cash! 😂

Linn - a system they claimed cost around a quarter of a million but which didn't come close to justifying that.
I have to agree. I didn't stay long there. It sounded very strident to my ears, first for some interminable jazz song and then for The Cranberries.

FWIW I thought the same for the Dynaudio skyscrapers with Naim 500 amplification. I heard some Lou Reed and some Nirvana and they both sounded a bit empty yet distorted in the mid band

There were several rooms that left me unimpressed last year that were much better to my ears this year. Neat and ATC come to mind.

The music selection felt a bit more diverse this year. Nothing too exotic, mind, but I didn't get sick of hearing anything in particular. I was quite pleased to demo the Audio Note introductory setup via Black Sabbath's "Planet Caravan".

I enjoyed my trip to the show yesterday. Arrived just before 10 and my first port of call was the Supatrac room where I heard the Blackbird for the first time and was very impressed indeed.

The Blackbird was mounted on a Rega P10 used alongside a Rega Naia with RB3000 arm (I think?), both fitted with the same Rega cartridge. Side by side comparison was intriguing. Both sounded very good indeed through the RFC speakers Richard was using, very little between them. Roy Gandy was in the room when I was cueing up Dark Side of the Moon on the Naia in a ham-fisted manner!

Tannoy were good and I had an interesting chat with a gentleman who started with Tannoy at Coatbridge in 1976, the year my Tannoy Mansfields were built. Fyne and Lockwood were also interesting (there's a theme here).

I couldn't last more than a few minutes in the Linn and Dynaudio rooms.

Not much listening done otherwise. I had a gentle stroll browsing and dipping in here and there, including the occasional rendezvous with my companions in the bar. Home in time to watch the Scotland v England Rugby.

Now contemplating what I can sell so that I can raise funds to buy a Blackbird!

Cheers

I went on Saturday. I thought the Wilson Benesch system was sound a little cold even with the subwoofer in. Contrary to others I thought it was better in previous years. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw as to what is playing. Unlike the linn system though, it could express the rhythmic interplay of the instruments in a recording. I had to go back to the linn system to check whether I was right that it a was completely rythmicly flat. Even the rega system being played far too loud was in a different league in that area.
I liked the audio note meishu system best in show although i felt the turntable was a little soft sounding compared with the cd but still good. That was very enjoyable, if a little coloured, and drew you into the music which is what it is all about.
The new heybrook active dsp speakers were impressive on the short bit of orchestral music I heard.
The atc room sounded very good in a studio monitor sort of way.
The Lockwood room was not to my taste at all.
I agree the dynaudio room sounded off.
The new chord Amp with atc speakers sounded very clean, if maybe a touch lightweight.
All in all a good day, maybe a bit short on really good sounds.

That Supatrac arm look cool as hell. I wonder if it is superior to the best Rega arm…
It looks odd, and frankly, cheap, to me.. But what do I know? I didn't hear it.

Are you able to rate the Tannoys against the Fyne? I always wondered how similar/ different they are.
Not really, because ..different rooms and systems as I recall. All a bit academic anyway as I can afford neither and am not looking to change my system . Both sounded excellent. I thought the Fyne argument for their upwards firing 360 degree supertweeter, as opposed to the 'beaming' effect of conventional ones made sense, but again..I'd need a lengthy and pointless demo of something I can't afford to find out.

I must have had my eye off the ball when the famous Tannoy 'split' and the establishment of Fyne occured, so I can't comment. Interestingly, neither company seemed prepared to engage in 'badmouthing' the other.. which was nice. OTOH, whilst the Tannoy website still has a complete Co. history, Fyne's website has nothing.

fab , glad you liked the tannoys . when you get a chance pin down the reps on manufacturing ... cranage guy said made in Hamilton
We had a longish discussion on Saturday (our second day), with the Tannoy guys on the static display. My pal has Canterburys, which are now around £32k I think. They were also seemingly genuinely interested in my tale of how I was flown to Coatbridge to hear the Westminster Royals, have a factory visit, lunch with their MD etc.. in the company of sometime Hi-Fi World journo Eric Braithwaite. Around 1992 I think.
Coatbridge has gone, but they did say they have a plant in Hamilton. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind is a vague memory that Tannoy's more 'entry level' stuff is now of Chinese manufacture, whilst the Prestige Series is still made in Scotland. Anybody have a definitive answer?

We both agreed the Rogers room was horrendous leading us to skip all other BBC-like rooms.

You're entitled to your view, but Rogers sounded good to me when I went in on Friday.

Michell Tecnodec (first hearing for me, sounded as good as a Gyro!) with Arcam A25 and PMC Prodigys

Yep, I totally agree. I'd be interested to hear those PMCs on the end of my Orbe, LFD set up, even though pricewise they are probably relatively cheaper than my Rogers S3/AB3 set up which cost £1k 28 years ago.
I mainly went into the Michell room to touch base with Steve Rowlands of that Co. A true gent and AFAIK now officially retired, but always helpful above and beyond etc..

I went out to the car and it wouldn't start. When it did it sounded lumpy and I could smell petrol. So no show for me.

A misfire? I'd have checked all plug leads for damp/ proper connection and tried again.

Bottom line, my friend and I had a great couple of days.

My plan to park up close to the show by taking advantage of my Blue Badge helped a lot, but mostly just saved me a couple of quid in Parking charges. We arrived just after opening on the Friday and left at closing time, thoroughly knackered.

Food and a couple of drinks in the Filton Travelodge, a decent night's kip, shower and a better than hotel average breakfast, set us up for a shorter but more relaxed Saturday. My friend spent most of his time buying very expensive 'One Step' and similar sooper dooper pressings of vinyl. I resisted that temptation as I have lots of unplayed vinyl at home (and less spare cash). I focused on chatting with a few old faces. Mostly, I didn't hear anything affordable to me that would make me want to change. Special mention though, to Wilson Benesch, whose rooms I have previously found to be massively underwhelming, but who this time got it pretty near perfect albeit with a c.£19k ( entry level!!!) speaker in a £70k system. They cleverly mixed the music too, so that the contrast between a fully layered classical orchestra and sparse stuff such as McCartney/Beatles 'Blackbird', moved things on from the all too common 'sweet voiced girl with guitar' stuff.

Drive both ways was fairly stress free apart from a brief and inexplicable hold up just before we left the M6. Also worked out cheaper than the train.

I'd go again.

Went along yesterday, generally ok - for a show.

High's (for me):

Neat - Elite Classic speakers suprisingly big sound from such a small cabinet, love those tweaters!
Michell - showing their excellent Tecnodec turntable package (table, arm and cartridge for 2k) , also good chat with the grandson
Rega - new high end turntable looks the part, be interesting to hear how good it sounds if I ever get that opportunity, also got to meet the man himself and shake his hand - hifi royalty!
Exposure - Cool to see them back in the game with strong product
English acoustics valve amplifiers very nice - with one model using apparently the old Leak circuit design
Wilson Benesch - not cheap but aways a good showing at the Bristol show (they get the best room so probably half the battle?)

Lows (for me):

Naim - Despite trying I'm still not a fan of those Focal speakers, plus they didnt even seem to have a decent room this year - unless it was well tucked away and I missed it?
Linn also a dissapointment to me, expected more at the show

Not as many "highlights" as last year for me. In fact there was one - in a strange way. The Supatrac room had a pair of Kef R3s (or it might have been the R3 Metas) and to me they sounded brilliant. I've wanted to hear a pair for a while as I am considering them for my living room system. Now I want them!

The Telegrapher actives were great too, as were those weeny little Dalis.

Lowlights though... Linn. How can a system costing so much money sound so dull?

Dynaudio.. Is it me or did those absolutely enormous floorstanders sound like medium sized bookshelf speakers?

An interesting day on the whole though, and it was good to add some music to my repertoire of show/demo tracks!

advertisement

Back