advertisement

Brighton record shops

Saxondale

pfm Member
Off to Brighton in a few days and not been for years. What are the best record shops, good for jazz would be a bonus?

I spent a fair bit of time (and money) in the Vinyl Curtain whilst in Brighton
It's ran by a well known DJ Billy Nasty so there's a fair bit of Techno, EDM etc
But he had a very good punk/post punk/ indie section with some great finds
Not sure about the Jazz stuff though as it's not my thing

If you enjoy a good rummage get yourself to Rarekind Records.

IMG_0809-e1570814135775.jpeg

There used to be an absolutely brilliant shop up near the Open Market off London Road - I loved raiding the '4 for £10 jazz box' - but it seems to have shut down at some point in the last couple of years.

There's 'The Record Album' at 8 Terminus Road, BN1 3PD.

Also 'The Wax Factor' at 24 Trafalgar St., BN1 4EQ.

You could also try 'Fine Records' at 32 George St., BN3 3YB. Actually in Hove, but not that far from Brighton.

Mike

There's also the 'North Laine Bazaar' in Gardner St. Its opposite 'Resident Records' and usually has some s/h vinyl for sale.

One other that I can think of (and popped into last Saturday for RSD) is 'Cult Hero' at 16 Brighton Place, BN1 1HJ.

Mike

Brighton not what it used to be, mucho gentrification has put paid to a number of the quirkier outlets. Resident good for new records. Across The Tracks in North Laine used to be good, haven’t been in for a while. Always found Wax Factor a bit snotty and overpriced, but good stock. There was a basement place in Stirling Place off Blatchington Rd in Hove, don’t know if it’s still there, could combine with a visit to Fine Records.

Fine records in Hove is wonderful, one of the very few great classical music shops left. Has some jazz too I think. And The Record Album is a fantastic time-capsule.

If you are driving, just make sure you don’t get caught in at Brighton’s bus gate traps! They are specifically designed by the local council to ruin the day and the whole visit of unsuspecting tourists, I guess especially those who have not visited for a while!

https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/parking-and-travel/bus-gates
Very true - Brighton hates cars. I'm in Worthing and given the choice I'll go to Crawley or Chichester for shopping trips or cinema rarther than go to Brighton.

The bus gates look so easy to miss unless you know what you're looking for - and I have no doubt that's by design.

I'm sure that's true but it still must have one of the highest concentration of record shops in the South of England! Always a great day out :)
Yeah Resident has kept the flag flying. But I sorely miss Borderline and the literally dozens of little 2nd hand record and bookshops (Disclocator, Sancho Panza etc) that are now coffee houses.

Lived in Brighton for three years, Kemptown and Preston Park. I suppose The Virgin Record store is long gone?:)

Thanks all - sounds like it’s a real treat for vinyl lovers!

I am driving so thanks for the heads up about the bus gates.

advertisement

Back