advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony, you've linked to a Guardian report into a European Commission commissioned extrapolation that seeks to demonstrate that brexit will prove to be a very bad thing.

Well, no shit Sherlock! Did you expect it to say something else?

Ah ok EV, try this one instead. https://www.economist.com/britain/2021/03/13/the-cost-of-brexit-becomes-apparent
Let's face the facts Brexit is calamitous for the UK. Look at Kirks post above. Surely you are better than Colin at counting? :D
Coming out of covid (hopefully for us all) it is going to come into focus more sharply.

When Poots magoots is on your side you are in big trouble. More I think about it so are we as he will stir up trouble and hate :(

In this week’s exciting episode of ‘What Liz Truss Knows’

https://twitter.com/haggis_uk/status/1228351903232413698?s=21

Also great to hear expressions of buyer’s remorse on the thread, now in loftier circles ...

o6D77NG.jpg

The healin’ has begun.

This is rather beautiful in it own way, because it confirms my vague recollection, mentioned in a post I made in the Scottish thread a couple of weeks ago, that the SNP had voted against (in fact, had abstained) from the vote to stay in the CU, thus dodging the greatest, most stunning opportunity that would have been available to an independent Scotland within the EU - one foot in the EU via membership, the other in the rUK via the CU.

Could it be that Nicola is sharper at tictacs than she is on strategy?
Maybe she can just spot a shitshow.

Maybe she can just spot a shitshow.
EV knows very well his party and Farage’s mob at its heels would never have accepted BINO inside the customs union, Blighty still a rule taker etc. He’s now pulling his faux plight of the Scots/ poor African farmer/Greek pensioner shtick.

Perhaps she can, but she missed a trick.

On the topic of serendipity (did I mention that?) here's one for camp remain; pfm's second or third ranked pantomime villain, the mulleted Martin of Witherspoon, is calling upon the government for more EU immigration.

Apparently his boozers have run out of bar staff.

I know, you couldn't make it up!

On the topic of serendipity (did I mention that?) here's one for camp remain; pfm's second or third ranked pantomime villain, the mulleted Martin of Witherspoon, is calling upon the government for more EU immigration.

Fruit harvest(s) start in a month or two. Anyone got any spare pickers? Oh what jolly fun. Will we go back to closing the schools in certain areas so the kids can go harvesting and flint picking?

I suspect he's got that right, I don't know what it's like where you are but we have several perfectly good restaurant/pub businesses that are more threatened by staff shortage than COVID. The fruit growers who are left, are also facing significant problems.

Fruit harvest(s) start in a month or two. Anyone got any spare pickers? Oh what jolly fun. Will we go back to closing the schools in certain areas so the kids can go harvesting and flint picking?
I think the Telegraph was calling for the students to be put to the fields as the new land army with all Glastonbury leave cancelled as Boris’s mistress is complemented on her ‘festival- chic’ wedding outfit. They even had the garden at No.10 done up to match. Meanwhile the pensioners can guard the ports.

No I'm afraid your constant repeating it doesn't make it "perfectly fine", it was your usual aggressive deflection from the subject of the post you responded to. You had no contribution to make to the actual conversation, so you did your usual and deflected away from it. ET's a big boy, he can speak for himself and pointing out the flaws in what he was saying about netting off tariff's is not patronising anyone.
Sorry Steve, but my post #1565 had nothing to do with ET. I replied to your pretty much relentless bullying remarks to Colin B that add nothing but get you a lot of ‘likes’. I put the snide parts of your post I quoted in bold to make that clear.

Regarding the "you never used to do that" - I used to give your awkwardness the benefit of the doubt but came to realise that it's deliberate baiting. You retain the ambiguity around your vote on Brexit purely to enable you to play both ends against the middle as it goes tits up, there is nothing sacred about your voting intentions on any other subject.
A referendum is not the same as making clear whether someone has fundamentally left or right wing views. Should I vote in another referendum it is likely I won’t report to you and the pfm massive which option I selected. I’m not playing anything.

Besides, blaming "hard remainers" is patently absurd. You cannot blame the people who warned that Brexit would be a bad idea, gave predictions (reduced trade, NI border problems, reduced inward investment) that have come to pass, and then voted against the idea.
Of course hard remainers in parliament have responsibility. The remain majority make-up of the UK parliament at the time of the referendum and right through to the enabling of Johnson and the far right tories is a well known fact. They voted against a soft brexit many times. There was even a chance to get rid of the govt and form a temporary coalition ahead of a GE but they killed that stone dead as well. How on earth are you unaware of this?

Nonsense claims of predictions by hard remainers as well. Talk about a re-write of history. Ahead of the referendum, which is when predictions, or rather campaigning actually counted, most predictions made on this forum were about a collapse of sterling and how it will be impossible to go on holiday anywhere. There was nothing, or at least not much about NI. That came mostly after the referendum when other people started to talk about it. Many of the posts here were complaints about the leave campaign and early accusations of racism against anyone not making it absolutely clear they intended to vote remain. It was all rather unsavoury stuff but useful practice for what was to come. I get why you want to re-write it, sean.

Some brexiters just need to "man the f*&k up" and own the shit they've enabled.
Blimey! Well, to use similar words to yourself, those trying to dismiss the outcome of a democratic referendum just need to "man the f*&k up" and own the shit they've enabled. The ‘shit’ being a hard brexit when it didn’t have to be like that.

Apologises in advance to the group, I’m sure that’s another awkward post.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I love Remainers. I am actually thinking of becoming one.
Apparently Australia is having a such hard time with selling their wine to China at high tariff rates. They will be dumping a load on the UK at knock down prices.
Now there is something I could happily remoan about.
I'm teetotal.

A minor pedantic note: this has nothing to do with serendipity, which my trusty OED (Concise) defines as "the faculty of making happy and unexpected discoveries by accident". The fact that arch-Brexiter business sharks like Martin would start realizing, about now, that being able to draw on a supply of cheap, hardworking and often well-educated workers from the less affluent parts of the EU is important for their businesses is certainly not unexpected. Nor is their lack of shame in lobbying for special exemptions and exceptions for their business. They are the people that pull the strings in Westminster.

But it is funny, I'll grant you that.

I should think its made a lot of people unexpectedly happy. You could also characterise it as schadenfreude, but that sounds a bit, you know, German.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back