advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

So, reading between the Grauniad's standard pro-EU/anti-brexit stance on absolutely everything, we learn that Ireland gets to collect customs duties on sweatshop goods from the Far East on behalf of the EU instead of the UK having to do so. Whoopee.

Not sure how that nets out overall to us here, but having to pay additional customs and VAT duties on stuff we buy from the UK hits punters directly in the pocket.

I bought a used bike for £6.5k there last year, and then had to pay the guts of another €2k this side on import - versus a nominal 200 euro it would have been pre-departure, Pretty much killed used car/motorcycle buying from your side for us.

Thanks Brexit.

n5yfup.jpg

I'll have a pint of the black stuff.

This week the news was saying that we have supply shortage of certain drugs this is due to Brexit. I don’t understand if this is the case how the hell the rest of the world manages to get supplies and they aren’t in the EU. Is it just that we are failing at doing the basics right because we can blame Brexit
Not sure how different or worse it is in the UK but I do here mention of that over here also. Brexit has probably contributed to a larger problem in the UK because of the barriers imposed. But sure that's what 52% wanted.

Not sure how different or worse it is in the UK but I do here mention of that over here also. Brexit has probably contributed to a larger problem in the UK because of the barriers imposed. But sure that's what 52% wanted.
Just so. Brexit isn`t the root cause of many of our problems (though it is of some) Covid, Gaza war, Ukraine war, crop shortages, drug shortages to name but a few, it just makes them worse than they need to have been.

Still, at least we`re free of the evil EU.....

Just so. Brexit isn`t the root cause of many of our problems (though it is of some) Covid, Gaza war, Ukraine war, crop shortages, drug shortages to name but a few, it just makes them worse than they need to have been.

Still, at least we`re free of the evil EU.....
It’s just that it makes it all incrementally worse. I don’t think Brexit was actually the disease, just a symptom of it. Attention has now swung fully round to internal scapegoats. The Brexit movers now have fresh targets.

Both Thailand an the Philippines have had shade temperatures of 43C this week. What do you do when countries like these become uninhabitable?

Both Thailand an the Philippines have had shade temperatures of 43C this week. What do you do when countries like these become uninhabitable?
Let them go where they want is my solution. They were rather difficult about my work permit and visa, though. And I understand they have got worse. So Thai authorties do not really have much form regarding live and let live.

EU following the Tory scum on immigration: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68779387
There was a report on BBC R4 this morning of a 7 year old child of a failed Iraqi asylum seeker.

She had been to school in Sweden but her father was to be returned to Iraq. They both then took the illegal small boat bound for uk option, last week

The child was crushed to death on boarding the boat.

How does the EU face up to the inhumanity of that ?

More efficient returns of asylum seekers to place of origin.

From our good friend Donald Tusk:

"As we celebrate 20 years in the EU, a fierce debate is taking place in Great Britain caused by the World Bank’s forecast that income per capita will be higher in Poland than in the UK in 2025. And I promise this: on the 25th anniversary, Poles will be wealthier than the British. It’s better to be in the EU!"

Ah, but the Poles can't buy 568ml bottle of wine can they. I mean, neither can I, because no-one sells them, but one day I will benefit from that blessed freedom from the accursed EU restriction that apparently forced me into buying 182ml more of claret than any right thinking Englishman should. I mean, I'm originally from New Zealand, but still.

Ah, but the Poles can't buy 568ml bottle of wine can they. I mean, neither can I, because no-one sells them, but one day I will benefit from that blessed freedom from the accursed EU restriction that apparently forced me into buying 182ml more of claret than any right thinking Englishman should. I mean, I'm originally from New Zealand, but still.
Damned Colonials, coming over here with their funny ways. They'll be beating us at the cricket and rugby before you know it, you mark my words.

Don't tell Robert Burns.

Let them go where they want is my solution. They were rather difficult about my work permit and visa, though. And I understand they have got worse. So Thai authorties do not really have much form regarding live and let live.
Sounds attractive at first. But opening borders would allow tens of millions to move quickly to any country they want. Is that really a simple solution....

Sounds attractive at first. But opening borders would allow tens of millions to move quickly to any country they want. Is that really a simple solution....
Billions perhaps. If it gets too hot, they are moving regardless. Or dying. Plenty of room in Russia and China. I'm sure, when the time comes, both countries will take one for the team.

EV has cited the EUs approach to migrants quite a few times here to demonstrate the less than benign nature of the institution. The same in the economic sense as it dealt with Greece in 2010.

From the BBC: "The latest EU agreement also aims to deal with asylum requests within a maximum of 12 weeks. In case of rejection, asylum seekers would have to be returned forcibly to their home country within the same period.'

advertisement

Back