advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Twitter

Look at this from another perspective.
The EU allowed a part of the territory of a 3rd country to be inside the Single Market (for free) to prevent an Irish land border and all they asked in return is to respect the Single Market rules.
Johnson agreed & now we’re trashing it.

RTE are reporting the EU could take legal action this week against the Tories endlessly shape-shifting Brexit shit this week (Twitter). This is not going to end well and it is wise to look far beyond the lies we are being fed by the idiots that created this mess.

I hope the EU keeps its powder dry until the by-elections are over. I have no idea if they are stalwart Tory seats but no point in giving this shower any excuse to rouse their Brexit loving rabble.

From Twitter

Look at this from another perspective.
The EU allowed a part of the territory of a 3rd country to be inside the Single Market (for free) to prevent an Irish land border and all they asked in return is to respect the Single Market rules.
Johnson agreed & now we’re trashing it.
I’d jump at Northern Ireland’s deal. Even throw in freedom of movement as a sweetener. Have you seen the Brexit Island queues at passport control at European airports lately?

And to think that only 10 years ago the UK hosted one of the best summer Olympics of recent times.
My god, how far and how fast the country has fallen.
(And before anyone pipes up I'm not suggesting that the UK did not have serious problems in 2012, merely that from an international vantage point the past decade has seen the UK fall to an extent maybe only matched by the USA during the Trump presidency).

The normally jingoistic Brexit rags, The Telegraph and Express are strangely now running up the white flag. The normally fanatical Express is even describing the EU as a ‘partner’.

“There are concerns the action will spiral into a full-blown trade war between the two partners in the middle of a cost of living crisis.
At a meeting of his top team yesterday, the Prime Minister is said to have told ministers to "de-escalate" the war of words with the continent. The wording was used repeatedly during the meeting in order to reiterate the point, according to the Daily Telegraph”.

The normally jingoistic Brexit rags, The Telegraph and Express are strangely now running up the white flag. The normally fanatical Express is even describing the EU as a ‘partner’.
Don't be ridiculous. You must be hallucinating. Give up on the coffee, have a lie down and read it again. I'm sure that their normal racist, fascist-supporting behaviour wil be observed.

Don't be ridiculous. You must be hallucinating. Give up on the coffee, have a lie down and read it again. I'm sure that their normal racist, fascist-supporting behaviour wil be observed.
It’s safe to assume they take their readership for idiots. You see the same two faced hypocrisy in the DM and Murdoch rags with contradictory messaging in their Scottish and English editions.

Reading between the lines it looks like someone in the No.10 policy unit has given Johnson bad news from their focus groups- that any added economic pain from EU/US trade sanctions will attach to him and no one else.

I don't whether this should be in the BoJo Eloquence and Trust thread, but how's this one for irony and pig-headed arrogance:
"UK Minister warns US politicians to mind their language over Northern Ireland".
"Conor Burns, a Northern Ireland minister and close ally of Boris Johnson, said some US politicians risked empowering violent elements within the province in their public comments on the protocol."
https://www.ft.com/content/7b737d11-d2c7-4487-bf1a-1663106811d0 (paywall)
Conor Burns has decided to take the Special Relationship to another level.
Coming from the people that have been stirring the sectarian pot for several years over the NIP, this is a bit rich, even by the loose standards of Boris' administration. Also, a junior UK minister publicly threatening the US Congress is always going to work well, innit?

86 pages in, have we found a tangible benefit yet?

A tangible one, not abstract.

I'm working in an industry with labour shortages so I'm busy most of the time. However, that shortage damages the overall economy, drives inflation and leaves me no better off.

And young Aimee, separated from her friends and a bit worse for wear at 2 am can't get home...

86 pages in, have we found a tangible benefit yet?

A tangible one, not abstract.

I'm working in an industry with labour shortages so I'm busy most of the time. However, that shortage damages the overall economy, drives inflation and leaves me no better off.

And young Aimee, separated from her friends and a bit worse for wear at 2 am can't get home...
Ah hello you! :) Strangely enough was thinking about you last week while looking through an old thread

I did like this comment in today's FT:

Simon Hoare, Tory chair of the House of Commons Northern Ireland committee, told the Financial Times: “Truss realised she didn’t have the personality or skills to negotiate. She prefers the sledgehammer.”

It's clear that this woman is playing politics, that she's positioning herself for Boris's job when he inevitably falls in a heap. It doesn't seem to dawn on her that she's playing with people's livelihoods, and, given Northern Ireland's situation, perhaps even with their lives. Or perhaps she, like the vast majority of folk on That Other Island Next Door, simply doesn't care.

Dover showing the blitz spirit. Tears at Rwanda flight being cancelled. Thoughts and prayers. Britain’s full up.

Natalie Elphicke, the Tory MP for Dover, says many of her constituents have been in touch with her to say they are concerned that the Rwanda flight was not able to go ahead.

Patel praises the people of Dover, saying they are on the front line in this issue.

86 pages in, have we found a tangible benefit yet? A tangible one, not abstract.
Amazingly, I stumbled upon a Brexit dividend in The Guardian two days ago. But it's a bit of an accident: Ten years ago, Dogger Bank was designated a protected EU habitat for fish. But there was an unresolved conflict with Common Fisheries Policy, so fishing continued. By complete accident, when we left the EU and the CFP, the habitat protection remained and - in the absence of the CFP - could now be enacted. BOOM! Accidental dividend!
Charles Clover in The Guardian said:
The protection of Dogger Bank is that rare thing – a Brexit dividend. There are multiple ironies to it, though. The Dogger was theoretically protected a decade or so ago by the UK government under the EU habitats directive – written by the prime minister’s father, Stanley Johnson, when he was an EU official. Then nothing happened, because there is an unhelpful conflict in European law between nature conservation and the common fisheries policy that has yet to be resolved.

When the common fisheries policy ended in UK waters after Brexit, ministers from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs were – our charity had to remind them – obliged to enforce the nature laws we had inherited from Europe. There was no longer any conflict in law.
Brilliant, isn't it?

Amazingly, I stumbled upon a Brexit dividend in The Guardian two days ago. But it's a bit of an accident: Ten years ago, Dogger Bank was designated a protected EU habitat for fish. But there was an unresolved conflict with Common Fisheries Policy, so fishing continued. By complete accident, when we left the EU and the CFP, the habitat protection remained and - in the absence of the CFP - could now be enacted. BOOM! Accidental dividend!Brilliant, isn't it?

You seem to express greater pleasure in the fact that the UK can no longer ignore the rules than even mild disgust at the fact that the EU ignored those same rules for all those years. Is there not a kind of cognitive dissonance at play?

Is there not a kind of cognitive dissonance at play?
No. I don't know much about the Common Fisheries Policy, but some of its workings offend me. And the fact that this legal conflict - of which I was unaware until I read the article - has gone unresolved is wholly distasteful to me. Nonetheless, irony is delicious, and it's good for the soul to favour the amusing over the depressing.

Amazingly, I stumbled upon a Brexit dividend in The Guardian two days ago. But it's a bit of an accident: Ten years ago, Dogger Bank was designated a protected EU habitat for fish. But there was an unresolved conflict with Common Fisheries Policy, so fishing continued. By complete accident, when we left the EU and the CFP, the habitat protection remained and - in the absence of the CFP - could now be enacted. BOOM! Accidental dividend!Brilliant, isn't it?

Isn`t that the name of the bloke who just lost a libel case against Carole Cadwalladr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back