advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevec67

pfm Member
270759753_1833438643509501_4245174807271622002_n.png
"No, sorry sir, you had that in the fitting rooms for 5 years getting it adjusted, and you've been wearing it every day for a year, it's a little late to be saying it's not the right colour. "

Ha ha! Very good!
But seriously, how have working class people’s lives improved with Brexit?

You have not been paying attention: for at least 1 poster leaving the tyranny of The Evil Empire was the only benefit that mattered.

Years of a parlous economic future is a price well worth paying.

Leaving the EU was indeed the primary function of Brexit, and thus its first gain. What successive future governments do with that step will define successes and the failures of leaving.

So too will the future policies of the EU itself, as it faces a substantial number of challenges ahead, many of them conflicting, and all of them potentially divisive. I suspect the first will evolve quite rapidly as an effect of the globe entering into a rapid inflationary cycle, something that the 20 year old Euro has not yet has to weather. Others will revolve around the reach of EU law into the member constitutions, immigration and global geopolitics, particularly energy, Russia and Russia/Ukraine.

The EU appears to have learned nothing from Brexit. I have no more faith in its leadership than I do in our own, with the proviso that ours is at least subject to the ballot box.

Your post, incidentally, makes a distinction between the EU and the Common Market. There are currently no distinguishing advantages from having left the latter, and many more considerable disadvantages. The problem is that membership of the EU (or pretty much absolute submission to its legal edicts) is obligatory upon membership of the CM.

Yes, I’m sure the first post war governor of Stalingrad said the same- mustn’t grumble, things can only get better.

"No, sorry sir, you had that in the fitting rooms for 5 years getting it adjusted, and you've been wearing it every day for a year, it's a little late to be saying it's not the right colour. "
"Has sir ever considered dressing to the left rather than the right?"

While EV steps out of his smouldering Brexit barn to warn of possible fires across the Channel, permanent damage is being done right now to U.K. business as a direct consequence of Brexit:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...u-trade-says-food-body?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Britain’s small businesses should expect trade with the EU to be “permanently damaged” from 1 January, the refrigerated supply chain trade body has said, after new customs checks take effect that it says will make imports from the bloc “more expensive, less flexible and much slower”.

Amid growing public dismay at the negative impact of Brexit, the Cold Chain Federation said speciality food imports could face the same 70% decline that affected exports of food by small businesses this year after Britain quit the EU single market and customs union.

While EV steps out of his smouldering Brexit barn to warn of possible fires across the Channel, permanent damage is being done right now to U.K. business as a direct consequence of Brexit:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...u-trade-says-food-body?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Britain’s small businesses should expect trade with the EU to be “permanently damaged” from 1 January, the refrigerated supply chain trade body has said, after new customs checks take effect that it says will make imports from the bloc “more expensive, less flexible and much slower”.

Amid growing public dismay at the negative impact of Brexit, the Cold Chain Federation said speciality food imports could face the same 70% decline that affected exports of food by small businesses this year after Britain quit the EU single market and customs union.

From the second article:

"16% of those who voted for Brexit said they had expected it to go badly and had been proved right."

Huh? Then why did they vote for it?

From the second article:

"16% of those who voted for Brexit said they had expected it to go badly and had been proved right."

Huh? Then why did they vote for it?
Through ideology. I heard more than one person say "at any cost" and repeat it. At any cost. If that's what you say then you are not optimistic about the outcome.

Reactions: PsB
Through ideology. I heard more than one person say "at any cost" and repeat it. At any cost. If that's what you say then you are not optimistic about the outcome.

As Stewart Lee said, it wasn't just racists that voted for Brexit....

Still, good news for U.K. food businesses- they can use lb & oz and Pints with the crown mark again, free from the chains of EU hegemony ( but alas free from EU customers as well).

Is there really a demand for lbs and oz to return?, anyone who was used to them must be at least 70.

Is there really a demand for lbs and oz to return?, anyone who was used to them must be at least 70.

I was just getting indignant over your statement - then I remembered - I`m 71.

I don`t really mind either way but metrication started a long time ago, I remember back around 1973 I noticed in the Drawing Office "Metric Standard Drawing General arrangement 1/4 inch Tape Deck"

Oi! I'm 63 and grew up with lbs, ozs, shillings, half crowns, pennies, etc. I can still multiply/divide those units very easily. I still (in my domestic life) think in terms of pints, ounces, et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back