advertisement

Brexit: Article 50 to be triggered 29 March

It's also funny how 'liberal elite' has become an insult. Personally, I view a liberal viewpoint as one of the more benign, intelligent and responsible positions a person can take. Maybe that's because I is one, though.

There's smug, self-satisfied condescension, and then there's some of the stuff that you come out with. You are honestly in a league of your own. The only mitigating factor is that you clearly haven't so much as an ounce of self awareness.

I thought some months ago that you were going to get out there and campaign for what you really believed in. Instead you are sitting in a bar in Thailand spraying your supercilious prejudices over what is in the real world an insignificant hi-fi forum where for the most part you are holding forth to the majority. Is this some kind of an exercise in needy self-affirmation?

Congratulations on confirming your membership of both categories in just two, short paragraphs :D

I take it you voted to leave.

Would that be the zero hours contracts, minimum wage for many, student loans averaging £44,000, national debt of £2000 per family, £69 billion deficit, work until 71 and rising before they have a state pension.

Sadly it's only going to get worse IMHO until the younger generations turn on those pedalling the dream.

It's also funny how 'liberal elite' has become an insult. Personally, I view a liberal viewpoint as one of the more benign, intelligent and responsible positions a person can take. Maybe that's because I is one, though.

It was even better- he employed the label, Liberal Elite Racist in one post.

Some fascinating stuff on data transfer/protection rights and Brexit on Radio 4 Today, today.

Whatever Brexit ends up being, it's pretty obvious it won't be leading to fewer regulations and less 'red tape'.

If I were starting out, I'd (gravy) train to be a Brexit lawyer/accountant. Job for life I reckon.

Still, it'll be British 'red, white and blue' tape so it's worth the expense.</end sarky comment>

Stephen

Sadly it's only going to get worse IMHO until the younger generations turn on those pedalling the dream.

That would make the dream a bicycle. Anyway, I thought you, jackbarron and Robert were going to lead the youth in smashing the system and building the new Jerusalem?

:D

I always was partially illiterate.

The implementation of my plans was, rather annoyingly, put on hold my an unforeseen injury. I'm now free to rant all I like. I'm unlikely to ever get around to doing anything other than picking up a weapon on the spur of the moment and taking out my local MP. Executive function is compromised.

:D

I always was partially illiterate.

The implementation of my plans was, rather annoyingly, put on hold my an unforeseen injury. I'm now free to rant all I like. I'm unlikely to ever get around to doing anything other than picking up a weapon on the spur of the moment and taking out my local MP. Executive function is compromised.

Sorry to hear that. When you say 'local MP', is that local in Thailand or local to wherever you are in the UK?

Residents of London awoke to their New (lower cost) Jerusalem today.

Cost of living in London has tumbled since Brexit: City falls 18 places in list of the most expensive places in the world due to referendum result!
(The Gospel according to Dacre)

Bizarrely, the image of the capital they used looks like a badly photoshopped zombie wasteland from 'I Am Legend'.

2a9xwlj.jpg

I like the way liberal elites has now been made Liberal Elites. Some way to go before it's elevated to the prominence of REMANIAICS!!! though.
Remember capital letters might be useful for your placard on Saturday. Try to desist from your usual snidey cryptic phrasing, that might not work in such a setting.

Do you have a vote in Thailand?

No Joe - but then there's no pretence of democracy in the first place - nor am I native to that country.

I thought Britain was a beacon for democracy and an example for societies across the world? That's what we were taught. Magna Carta et al.

No Joe - but then there's no pretence of democracy in the first place - nor am I native to that country.

I thought Britain was a beacon for democracy and an example for societies across the world? That's what we were taught. Magna Carta et al.

I've never been that naive since I attained the age of reason. All forms of government are flawed, some are more flawed than others. I think an independent judiciary, media free from state control, and (mostly) an uncorrupt public service are huge advantages that this country has over many others. I don't expect perfection, so I'm not disappointed when I don't get it.

Here's something I was reading last night:

'We live in what is called a democracy, rule by the majority of the people. A fine ideal if it could be made to work. The people elect, but the party machines nominate, and the party machines to be effective must spend a great deal of money. Somebody has to give it to them, and that somebody, whether it be an individual, a financial group, a trade union or what have you, expects some consideration in return. What I and people of my kind expect is to be allowed to live our lives in decent privacy. I own newspapers, but I don't like them. I regard them as a constant menace to whatever privacy we have left. Their constant yelping about a free press means, with a few honorable exceptions, freedom to peddle scandal, crime, sex, sensationalism, hate, innuendo, and the political and financial uses of propaganda. A newspaper is a business out to make money through advertising revenue. That is predicated on its circulation and you know what the circulation depends on."'

It was written over 60 years ago, but it's just as true today, and was just as true 60 years before it was written.

advertisement

Back