advertisement

Brennan media player?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Hey folks.

Not interested in buying one, but a friend has asked for recommendations for an all-in-one cd player and streaming device, and I keep seeing these Brennan players advertised in the back of Mojo.

I was wondering: any good? Would it be worth her checking out? Price-wise, it doesn't seem too bad a deal - £350ish including a hard-drive, cd player, built-in amp. Kinda like a streaming Linn Classik in some ways. Add a pair of modest, easy to drive speakers and it would appear to tick all the boxes which might suit her...

Of course, I don't expect it to be the last word in audio quality but considering she's using her laptop and iTunes (internal speakers!) for her music collection I am sure it must at least be a step in the right direction...

Not heard one but it's MP3 format so it's not a hifi. Having said that I think it's a decent looking system and I bet it sounds OK to most people who are used to listening to a 1990s one box "compact stereo". Certainly worth her checking it out if she wants a neat soltion, mid fi, all the CDs out of the way.

They actually don't sound half bad with decent undemanding speakers. A midi system for the noughties.

Not heard one but it's MP3 format so it's not a hifi. Having said that I think it's a decent looking system and I bet it sounds OK to most people who are used to listening to a 1990s one box "compact stereo". Certainly worth her checking it out if she wants a neat soltion, mid fi, all the CDs out of the way.
The default is 192, which is not too bad. There is also an option to make exact copies of CDs but it has to be enabled for each CD.

It seems to me that this is a product for those who want the pluses of "computer audio" but don't want the complications of an actual computer.

I would think it is fine for your friends use proved they don't want flack or the ability to connect to the net.

Very few people in the real world want to listen to hi-fi, they want to listen to music...

Absolutely. The happiest music consumer I've seen was a school friend in the 80s/90s, she got a job, set up a flat and bought hundreds upon hundreds of records and Cds that she played on a 1980s midi system. It wasn't a hifi, her flat was always filled with music, and she was happy.

...but she could have been happier!
Only if she'd had more records and time to listen to them.:) She wasn't into repro quality, she was into the music. Not everyone is made the same. I'm into repairing things, some of my happiest moments have been in a workshop with a piece of metal in a vice. I recently had to swap a damaged bike tyre on a holiday, I was happily engaged in this routine, straightforward operation and a chap saw me, shuddered and commented "that looks awful. I'd hate to have to do that." Chacun a son gout.

Unless I misunderstood them or am thinking of something else, don't they rely on an internal database for music, otherwise you are stuffed?

advertisement

Back