advertisement

Breaks in sound from LG tv optical out into a DAC

No help but just to say I've used optical with two cheapo cables from an LG OLED for 4 years into three dacs (Micromega Mydac, Chord 2 Qute and RME ADI-2) and never had a single dropout.

Very odd Alex and it is a LG OLED. Can’t think of any reason why it should work Node > Weiss DAC rather than direct into the DAC. Will keep fiddling!

Do you have any other dacs or cables to try? You can borrow from me if you need (but I only have the one TV).

Do you have any other dacs or cables to try? You can borrow from me if you need (but I only have the one TV).

I’d need to grab another optical cable Alex, think my other two aren’t long enough. The OLED is on the wall though above my turntable so it’s just a PITA to swap as the optical socket is on the back of the tv not the side.

The dac has a specific jitter bandwidth that it can deal with on optical sources, should the TV present with jitter outside of this bandwidth then it'll glitch. Some dacs allow you to select a wider bandwidth on the PLL at the cost of marginally increased jitter in the output.

I don't think the weiss has this option.

The dac has a specific jitter bandwidth that it can deal with on optical sources, should the TV present with jitter outside of this bandwidth then it'll glitch. Some dacs allow you to select a wider bandwidth on the PLL at the cost of marginally increased jitter in the output.

I don't think the weiss has this option.

I’m guessing it’s something like that that’s causing the issue and of course you have experience of Weiss too. I might ask Daniel as he is usually very responsive to messages.

Thanks all.

They don't like sharp bends, mine packed up after a while dangling, supported the new one and it's been fine.

You can get a 90 degree bend for an optical cable if it parks close to the wall.

Have had some decent quality cables that snapped in straight and had no problems with.

Most of the ones I've used have been poor. The most annoying was one with a metal ferule around the tip which had a sharp edge on it. The edge was so sharp it caught on the door of the socket and broke it off! The problem then was that the door flipped up and formed the roof of the socket so without it the plug could not sit correctly. I had to glue the door into the socket in the open position.

I like the 'gold plated' optical leads ;0)

Certain models of lg oled tvs did have problems with dropouts. This was also reported by users on the tv forums.I had it a few times when connected to a Denon Av amp. Problem eventually went away after a 4th tv software upgrade.

Certain models of lg oled tvs did have problems with dropouts. This was also reported by users on the tv forums.I had it a few times when connected to a Denon Av amp. Problem eventually went away after a 4th tv software upgrade.

Ah - interesting. I think the software is up to date but will check.

advertisement

Back