advertisement

Breaking-in KEF R3 Metas

It took me a while to adjust to the sound of my LS50s, and a lot of that had to do with getting the toe in correct. Unlike you, I was coming from speakers with a more rolled off treble, and the KEFs seemed overly bright, but there was a similar adjustment period. They sound perfect to me now. I think our ears adjust more than the gear changes during break in.

Speaking of which, the way you describe the sound of your R3 Metas sounds pretty close to ideal. I’ve demo’d the R3s recently and definitely didn’t find them lacking in treble detail. And your amps should be an amazing match as KEFs seem to really like powerful class D - their active speakers all use high watt class D amps, except for A/B in the tweeters of the LS50 Wireless and LS60.

It's worth noting that, unlike the R3, the original LS50 has the tweeter response shelved up by some 2.5dB:

fr_listeningwindow.gif

Kef LS50 (listening window)
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

May I jump in this thread and ask how the R3’s are going as they are on my wish list? Am also toying with Sonus Faber Luminas, maybe III’s or Amators.
Hello...I am still evaluating the R3's; they are a different speaker than what I am used to; they are more flat than the floorstanders they are replacing, which had more of an upper end boost. The R3's are very transparent; the treble is present and polite. On some recordings it is a wonderful balance; on others, I miss some of the detail that used to be more apparent. The mids are wonderful; the bass is present, too, getting a boost from a pair of REL subs.

I like these speakers. Their fit-and-finish is excellent. I have about 70 hours of listening time on them so far. The online dealer I purchased the R3's from has a 60 day return policy, so I expect to make a final decision in a few weeks.

My recommendation is buy these from a retailer with a generous return policy, which will give you time to evaluate the R3's properly, in your environment.

advertisement

Back