advertisement

Branston Pickle

Gaius

pfm Member
I do like it but my jar is almost out.

It's good with a decent Cheddar, perhaps in a sandwich.

What is the distinction between pickle and chutney?

So, your recommendations for an alternative are most welcome.

Thank You.

I tend to buy a jar of branston because I think I like it, but then it sits there in the fridge or cupboard for like 2 years before I throw it out.

So I think, all in all, I don't like branston.

Me too I buy it and it never occurs to me to eat it. Then I throw it out and buy some more. Madness!

Rich

Pan Yan was better and more or less still available.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-longer-pickle-lost-recipe-comes-light.html

Current fave is 'Spiced Apple and Pear'. All the majors have their versions.

Chutney v Pickle?

ISTM that a Chutney is essentially a savoury jam, with sugar as the main preservative, whereas a pickle uses vinegar as the main preservative. Quite possibly a bit of crossover there though.

And with things like Lime Pickle, from the 'orient', I suspect that the assault of oil, spices, limes, etc., is enough to keep nasties at bay.
Mull

Anyone have a homemade recipe? Branston is great with a chunk of cheddar but is difficult to find and usually expensive here.

It's mangelwurzels in it I think? I once went to a famous sauce factory, it was the most awful smell possible. A bit like a dog on a pure meat diet, if you get my drift.

In the UK, we have our chutneys and pickles backward versus the asians who presumably invented them first.

I have made curried garlic pickle and it was ace, using less salt than the commercial version. Aldi do an excellent 'Branston' for cheap.

Branston is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I only get it in occasionally. I'll have a look at that pickle making article later, it's an area of food manufacture I don't know. Re the lime pickle, it, like a lot of the other Indian pickles, is a salt pickle. There's an unbelievable amount in there. In the UK as others have said they are different proportions of vinegar/salt/sugar.

I've tried to move away from Branston but always end up grabbing a new jar from the supermarket shelf. It's got that perfect balance between vinegar, sweetness, crunch and spiciness that's just the ticket with a good strong Cheddar.

Oh look, lunchtime...

I prefer the Tesco value version these days. The small chunk Branston stuff is awful though.

It would seem there is a broad consensus that Branston is generally well thought of and liked, so a replacement jar it will be then when next at the shops.

Sean99 & Kendo, I agree piccalilli does have its place, in fact there are times when nothing else will do!

It would seem there is a broad consensus that Branston is generally well thought of and liked, so a replacement jar it will be then when next at the shops.

Sean99 & Kendo, I agree piccalilli does have its place, in fact there are times when nothing else will do!

Are we talking the piccalilli that is mustard yellow in complection and sweet flavoured in taste or something else?

I find Branston is essential for cheese, but Piccalilli works better on a ham butty. Chillililli is even better though.

Chaps

I used to keep a jar of Branston in the house and to be honest it was the best of a mediocre bunch.

Since retiring, Mrs Mick bakes her own bread (in a breadmaker) every day, she also makes pickles, jams, marmalades and soups. The standard is way above the shop bought stuff, in fact it is streets ahead.

I had a spoonful of homemade piccalilli yesterday and it really made the taste buds sing.

Regards

Mick

Pan Yan was better and more or less still available.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-longer-pickle-lost-recipe-comes-light.html

Current fave is 'Spiced Apple and Pear'. All the majors have their versions.

Chutney v Pickle?

ISTM that a Chutney is essentially a savoury jam, with sugar as the main preservative, whereas a pickle uses vinegar as the main preservative. Quite possibly a bit of crossover there though.

And with things like Lime Pickle, from the 'orient', I suspect that the assault of oil, spices, limes, etc., is enough to keep nasties at bay.
Mull

Conversation with a friend last night also brought out the fact that pickles tend to need some time to 'mature', whereas chutneys are pretty much instant.
Mull

advertisement

Back