advertisement

Boring tales of moving magnets

Also using a 540ML on a 1210 here and it's excellent, way more insight than the mp110 I have, and not as sterile sounding as the 2M blue (which is ok, but over time I just find it not engaging to listen to). Not sure what the A21 MM capacitance loading is though, may well be too high for AT carts? A whole new boring conversation there (just ask my wife)

I was lucky enough to get a 740ML for 540 price and it was worth every penny - brilliant cartridge.

Never tried the ML stylus in the 5 body so couldn't say - but it does feel more secure than my 530EN when it is bolted up (not Linn tight:)).
Just couldn't refuse the offer I got.

My dealer has advised me to get one of these Audio Technicas for my Planar 3. Said it is much better than the Exact. Unsure about the capacitance into my Elex r phono stage though.

Currently using a MP110 that I like quite a bit.

Never tried the ML stylus in the 5 body so couldn't say - but it does feel more secure than my 530EN when it is bolted up (not Linn tight:)).
Just couldn't refuse the offer I got.

The faff of mounting the 540 compared to the VM95ML I had is the only thing I don't like about it. But once it is fitted, it won't need touching for a while I guess...

PJ, is it for using into the A21 or JVC?

More by luck than judgment but the best MM/amp combo I stumbled across was an old Ortofon VMS20 into the onboard stage of my old Richard Allan A21, I think it may have been a fluke of whatever load the phono section was showing the cart, but it was sublime. I don't know if any of the modern Ortofons are an equivalent of the old VMS20, I think I'd read that the 520 MkII may be similar but it might just be a myth/duff info.

https://phono-cartridge-reviews.co.uk/reviews/ortofon-520-mk-ii-vinyl-master-red/

You can pick up VMS20s but they're probably all knackered by now.

I got a new AT-VM95SH which I had on for about 30hours. I never really had a wow moment with it. A ‘low hours’ Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood came up at twice the price. I instantly took to it; smooth but very detailed, it was quite a step up. So it should be at three times the price if compared new. I’m just saying there are still some good options, possibly more bangs for buck than the lower slopes of MC carts left to explore. It’s a shame Len Gregory left the Musicmaker to die with him….

Evening, Matt. You o.k, sunshine?

it’s for the A21 and I have literally no idea about what suits it’s stage the best, apart from Sugden’s recommendations.

I'm doing OK ta.

I don't know if yours is the same as what was in my A21 but I'm sure @Arkless Electronics said it wasn't a typical stage with an odd loading or something, before the standard 47k became a thing. I can't recall, maybe he'll clear it up.

I'm doing OK ta.

I don't know if yours is the same as what was in my A21 but I'm sure @Arkless Electronics said it wasn't a typical stage with an odd loading or something, before the standard 47k became a thing. I can't recall, maybe he'll clear it up.

The schematics are on the web but from memory it had something like 60K input impedance. other than that it was a pretty typical stage of the time as used on the vast majority of gear back then.

advertisement

Back