advertisement

Borbely EB-1198/116 FET Amplifier build @ Courtiestown

Richard Lines

pfm Member
Good Afternoon All,

This will be a slow burn project but I fancied building one of Erno Borbely FET designs so I've started accumulating bits. JFET's aren't getting any easier to find.

dSTZuCK.jpg

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

The above parts were sourced from Taiwan. I have to say they were ordered accepting it was something of a 'gamble' but the PCB's are of a reasonable quality and the JFET's are matched so all is well.

I have one lot of capacitors sourced from a German eBay supplier and several more incoming from Banzai. I also have some Roederstein Resista Mk.3 resistors coming from another Taiwanese supplier. Courtesy of another PFM member I'm trying to source some Caddock MK132 resistors from a Californian based supplier. I've bought some JFET's via Donberg and some more from B + D.

If only the parts could all be sourced from the one place...........

yESwzMj.png

Regards

Richard

The chances that the jfets are anything like the 170/74 in characteristics are not very good.
The NOS stocks are more or less exhausted now

Good Evening All,

Just down to finding the Caddocks really now - it has been a way more expensive exercise than I was expecting...........

The amount of time spent locating items is ridiculous - it is fortunate that the nature of my work provides me more than its fair share of 'dead time'.............

Regards

Richard

I can understand a wish to stick as closely as possible to the original BOM, but in 20yrs might not Vishay or Bourns have caught up sufficiently, and for a much smaller outlay? (OK, I'm a cheapskate. But a few caps and resistors from HFC still cost an arm and a leg!)

@davidjt - I understand where you're coming from about the cost of some parts.

The Charcrofts in my SE boards cost £13.26 each and the 300uF wet tantalums cost £14.40 each.................

The 'genuine' 2SJ148's I have sourced cost £6.50 a piece and the 2SJ79's cost £9.10 a piece........

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

The 2SJ148's have arrived:-

qawiiVQ.jpg

Tested:-

lWxXYkN.jpg

I did try to edit my post from yesterday but there appear to have been some changes on the site in recent days???? The actual cost of these devices is actually £8.74 each rather than the £6.50 quoted yesterday.

The 2SK982's tested OK as well:-

gsPUfQb.jpg

Ended up sourcing trimmers from RS as the Copal RJ5W devices don't seem to be stocked by anybody:-

o4X1eN7.png

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

That's more components arrived today, all the FET devices test OK. The resistors are Roederstein Resista Mk.3's:-

4EC48L5.jpg

There are still more to come from LittleDiode and some via a very kind American member facilitating a purchase in the USA.

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

That's a package with a few more components arrived from the USA today:-

H4R8V4f.jpg

Will need to look at making a start at some point - works intervenes again and I'll be away tomorrow morning.

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
Good afternoon all,

that's me making a start on building the PCB's - close examination of the PCB/ component listing shows this isn't exactly the same as the Erno Borbely original!!!!!!!

On the one hand I have a PCB and on the other the correct components for the original schematic........ 😒

I suspect finding original PCB's might be a challenge - will have to see if I can find an original article and create a new PCB..........

c7fU4WF.jpg

The larger, very red, PCB in the background is my Doug Self 2012 Elektor 5532 Pre-amplifier project - I'll start a separate thread for this.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back