advertisement

Booze and books?

wulbert

pfm Member
I have long been aware of the enjoyment-enhancing effect of booze on music listening.

However, upon reading the preface and first page of "Our Wives Under the Sea" by Julia Armfield ( a book I just happened to find on the stairs a few minutes ago) whilst under the influence of Williams Bros. "Midnight Sun", I am aware that the booze may be having a similar affect on my enjoyment of the first few paragraphs of this book.

Is this a "thing"? Does imbibing enhance reading pleasure? (maybe it's just that this book has resonated with my mild Sunday afternoon melancholy and Ketil Bjornstad's music)

Alcohol certainly affected many, many writers. Sadly so in tragic cases like F. Scott Fitzgerald and Dylan Thomas.

I knew a psychologist from Newcastle University who did a study of what kind of brew was most conducive to writing, and spookily enough he found that it was Newcastle Brown Ale.....

Have you heard "Seafarer's Song" by Ketil Bjornstad? Could fit with your current reading... I saw him and band perform it at RNCM years ago, a memorably wonderful evening.
I'm just back from a couple of weeks camping by the sea in the NW Highlands. I read "The Seabird's Cry" by Adam Nicolson and found Ardbeg 10 really enhanced my enjoyment of an excellent book :)

Have you heard "Seafarer's Song" by Ketil Bjornstad? Could fit with your current reading... I saw him and band perform it at RNCM years ago, a memorably wonderful evening.
I'm just back from a couple of weeks camping by the sea in the NW Highlands. I read "The Seabird's Cry" by Adam Nicolson and found Ardbeg 10 really enhanced my enjoyment of an excellent book :)
No, I haven't heard the "Seafarer's Song" Can't find it on the web either. Funnily enough, the last time I enjoyed an Ardbeg was camping in Durness. My tent got flattened by the wind.

I enjoyed his "Sea Room".

advertisement

Back