advertisement

Bookshelf recommendations

doctorjuggles

pfm Member
Righto - so I'm having a shake-up of my study/third system. It's mainly a headphone rig and currently consists of:

Topping DX7s DAC & headphone amp/preamp
NAD D3045
Resolution Audio Opus 21 CDP
Monitor Audio Radius R90 speakers

(I've omitted the headphone details as I'm happy with that)

I mainly use Roon as the source/control. Anyway, it won't need to go very loud, but I'm looking for better quality from the speakers, I think they slightly let the side down at the moment when it comes to non-headphone listening.

Requirements:
Must be relatively small to fit on the desktop. Nothing higher than 29cm, nothing deeper than 23cm.
Must be happy against a wall.
Must sound good at low volume and very close to listener's head
Prefer an option to have it in white or light wood, although this is not imperative.

At the moment I have a range of speakers I'm looking at (the more expensive ones will need to be bought 2nd hand)
Dali Zensor 1, Menuet and Pico
Amphion Helium140 or Argon0 (or Ion+)
Neat Iota
Q Acoustics 3020

Anything I'm missing and any of the ones I've listed above that would really stand out from the rest, in the esteemed forum's opinion?

I had a similar issue question recently and the Dali Zensor 1's were getting very strong recommended and possibly even a better fit for your requirements. They can be had very cheap 2nd hand so I've been thinking I'd get a set to have a play with as I can always punt then on if I don't like them.

I'll be interested to here what folks say about the Neat Iota as they look like an option for a very small room requirement I have.

I have a pair of the Picos, and even though I generally don't like ported speakers they're pretty bloody good for the money. Need careful setting up though to get the best from them and I'm not sure they'd work too well up against a wall, at least not for me anyway but that could just be my anti-port prejudice. Sealed boxes have spoilt me.

I use PMC Twenty5.21 supported by a small REL in a small study
Position as you describe on ISOacoustic stands

Unfortunately these are too big. I have a pair of DB1+ in my AV rig, lovely speakers but too large for the place they'll be standing.

Good feedback so far for the Dalis. Has anyone heard the Menuet? Tempted by their good pricing at the moment, and the specs look good, but if they're not really going to be much better in the confined situation I've described then it's just a waste of cash

Ophidian Minimo and Neat Iota are in entirely different class to Dali Pico's imo much better speakers as higher price indicate
Indeed Ophidian need power and good amplication, doubt the Nad is up to the task

If I recall Dali Menuet placements not happy up against rear wall

Q3010 will be my recommendation, preferred them to both Zensor/Pico and Q3020 in my study

Had Zensor 1s until a few weeks ago and whilst in my setup they are not quite as detailed as the Epos ES11s that have replaced them, they were still rather good and for their size kicked out an impressive noise that was quite engaging.

This was in a 16 x 8 room, positioned about 20cm from the rear wall.

Worth considering going active: the small Adam actives are excellent (accurate and punchy) and not expensive.

If it's not too cheeky I could point the right honourable gentleman in the direction of the Dynaudio Xeo2s I have in the classifieds. Different dsp settings for wall placement, small, active and perfect for a study system.

Yeah those are all more than twice the size listed in my requirements, sorry.
Also not interested in active speakers as I have the amplifier and they have too few input capabilities - thanks to all who are trying to help though.

Some interesting suggestions in here. Would the D3045 really be no good for the Ophidian @ 60W with 120W peaks?
@Olsen - are those the same 3010 which are £99 in Richer Sounds, or the 3010i?

Thinking along the lines of the Ophidian, Dali Zensor and Amphion Helium140 at this stage

If it's not too cheeky I could point the right honourable gentleman in the direction of the Dynaudio Xeo2s I have in the classifieds. Different dsp settings for wall placement, small, active and perfect for a study system.

Hi James, sorry this was posted while I was typing - not after active speakers at the moment thanks (although if the Kef LSX ever becomes Roon Ready that may change sharpish)

I borrowed a friends Zensor1 a couple of months ago for a few weeks. They sang on the end of my Hegel H360 really engaging big soundstage. They did have a bit of a bass hump and have a few tonal flaws but they did the important thing of making me listen and enjoy my music collection . I was using a old pair of Castle Chester mk2 speakers the Dali Zensors blew them away I was quite surprised at how big they sounded for such a small box. I couldn't wait to get home from work to listen to them.
Beauty is you can pick them up for bugger all if you don't get on with them shift them for what you paid for them.
They look good from the front but the rear and sides are a definitely budget.
Good luck

advertisement

Back