advertisement

"bodies": is it the greatest rock 'n roll track ever?

Always been a New York man meself. Need to revsiit though (will do it when I get the Spunk CD).

Cheers

Rich

Pretty Vacant makes it into my top ten simply for the intro never mind the rest of the track, talking of intro's Whole Lotta Rosie by AC/DC is right up there too, you can always tell a goody when you recognise them as soon as the first guitar string is touched....

Greatest rock 'n' roll track ever - nah.
One of the greatest punk tracks ever - definitely (although I prefer the humour and 'baked bean' rhyme in "Satellite").

It is a horrific track though, and pretty much a true story too from what Johnny Joseph has said here and there.

If you like the album, I highly recommend the Classic Albums DVD. The interviews with Bill 'shaky' Price at the mixing desk are fascinating, and Steve Jones has a superb, self-deprecating sense of humour - he also says that Bodies is his favourite to play.
It is a shame that Malcy is allowed to waffle on the DVD, but it is cut so that everything he says is immediately contradicted by either Glen or John or both - very funny.

Sir said:
If you like the album, I highly recommend the Classic Albums DVD. The interviews with Bill 'shaky' Price at the mixing desk are fascinating, and Steve Jones has a superb, self-deprecating sense of humour - he also says that Bodies is his favourite to play.
It is a shame that Malcy is allowed to waffle on the DVD, but it is cut so that everything he says is immediately contradicted by either Glen or John or both - very funny.

Is this DVD from the TV series of a few months ago ? If so I only managed to catch two of them , Pink Floyds DSOTM which i've still got on my Sky+ and one of the Queen albums that has Bohemien Rhapsody on which i enjoyed watching , but has been deleted.

some of the bet bits are when the original (surviving) producers, and band members etc go back into the original studios and 'de-construct' the tracks , explaning how certain effects , etc are made. Not being a musician myself i was often surprised at how certain bits where made on compltely different instruments than i expected ( Syth's actually being guitars etc...)
Is it one album per DVD , or do you get the whole series ?

Sid,

It is from the 2002 Classic Albums TV series, the full title is something like:
'Classic Albums - Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols ...the definitive authorised story of the album.'

In addition to the ten segments shown on TV it contains thirteen DVD only bonus chapters; e.g. the superb 'Play In A Day The Steve Jones Way' and the excellent "New York" and "Seventeen" Stockholm 1977 performances. The latter being probably the best live footage of the band there is, "EMI" from the same gig is in the first ten chapters.

The whole thing runs at 100 minutes, I think the TV shows were only 50 minutes long. Here it is on Amazon and on eBay. You won't regret the purchase!

Other albums are/were available in the DVD series, I'd like to get 'Transformer', 'Catch A Fire' and 'Electric Ladyland' for starters!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Cheers Sir,
I started 'Googling' just after my post and have already snagged a new copy from Amazon marketplace for £7.04 all inc. :D

anecdote:
I seem to do an awful lot of shopping via Amazon Marketplace sellers these days, there are some real bargains to be had and no need to pay top dollar

Edit: After doing an Amazon search i've also realised that i'd seen a lot more of the original TV series episodes than i'd realised.

got my DVD this morning. best £7 I've spent for a long time. felt really envious of the guy at the mixing desk, having access to them multi track master tapes and being able to de-construct the tracks. The fact that the bass line on Holidays was all done by Steve Jones on guitar (not bass) was a bit of a surprise. but good to see how he did it, need to have a good listen to this album again with my new found knowledge and insight. it is now officially my all time favorite LP ever, hmm, i think it always has been. wish i was a bit older so i could have appreciated when it was all happening....

I actually saw the Clash and the Pistols in the same week, late 70s. Although it was pretty cool to think "I'm watching the Pistols", the Clash where better live.

The gig was at The Rainbow, started off with White Riot; the bouncers instantly lost control, rows of seats going airborne. Pistols played as "The Spots" at Brunel.

Great gig.

Mike,
I saw The Jam, late '78 (when I was 12) at the Rainbow. Sat nicely in the front row until Paul Wellers old man came onstage to anounce the band. All hell let loose, flying seats everywhere. Never seen anything like it at a gig since, must be the Rainbow!

mike lacey said:
Pistols played as "The Spots" at Brunel.
One of my favourite names from those 'Sex Pistols On Tour Secretly' gigs was "Acne Rabble".

Interviewer: Why is this tour so secret?
Paul Cook: It hasn't been secret.
Interviewer: It has been bloody secret, you've been 'Acne Rabble' in the Gazette, why have you...
Steve Jones: 'Cos we can't ****ing play anywhere you silly ****.
(http://www.dementlieu.com/~obik/arc/other/sexpistols_ggh3.html)

I never saw the Pistols live. When I'm on my death bed, this will probably be one of my only regrets.

I saw the Clash. At the time I thought they were the greatest thing ever, but nowadays I wouldn't lose any sleep if I never heard them again. I think, in retrospect, they were more bluster than substance, apart from about half of the first album and "Complete Control".

-- Ian

sideshowbob said:
I saw the Clash. At the time I thought they were the greatest thing ever, but nowadays I wouldn't lose any sleep if I never heard them again. I think, in retrospect, they were more bluster than substance, apart from about half of the first album and "Complete Control".

I'm reassured to find that I'm not the only one who feels like that about the Clash.

but punk was all bluster, what it acheieved was very little except clear the way for what came immediately after -- and that achieved a lot more IMV. Oky so it also cleared the way for Keith Harris and Orville and The New Romantics -- bastards.

I missed both bands -- they were too mainstream for me ;-) I used to hang out at the 100 club and see the first wave of Post Punk acts find their way -- making funny fizzy bleepy noises with loadsa bass -- which was great and far more atonal.

I don't think time has been all that good for Never Mind the Bollocks (I still prefer the Spunk demos) -- but their progenitors Iggy, MC5 and The New York Dolls/Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers have historically all fared much better on record... I couldn;t bear to see the Pistols' Filthy Lucre tour... a kinda punk-as-disneyland "Imitation from New York" -- hehe.

Agreed ..the bollocks hasn't aged well. It was such a clean 'perfect' production for The Pistols', way too technically right & too much time spent honing it by retarded producers seems apparant to me; the synergy is all wrong between instruments and raw energy lacking as a result- but if the songs are THAT good, well its a minor issue I guess.

advertisement

Back