advertisement

Bob Dylan's songs that are just perfect - and no cover has a chance

Howdy

pfm Member
As a counterpoint to the other thread...
I think actually most known Dylan's songs (and also most covered ones) are incredibly great in original version.

Blowing in the Wind - can't be improved.
Knocking on Heaven's Door - again, just perfect

Same goes for:
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
Boots of Spanish Leather
Chimes of Freedom
My Back Pages
Love Minus Zero/No Limit
Visions of Johanna
Just Like a Woman
Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
Sara

Also making covers of anything on Time Out of Mind would be futile.

I particularly agree about “Just like a woman”.
May be best to look on it as being great that Dylan has written so many songs that others can “pick up and run” with?

I think Dylan is by far the best singer of his own songs. The recorded versions are just the way he saw the song that particular session and his interpretations can vary a lot, finding different meanings each time, but covers tend to stick to repeating the recorded "famous" version. For me the best Dylan covers are done by musicians who love and respect the songs and know them inside out to also find new meanings. It's a measure of the greatness of the songs that there isn't a definitive meaning or interpretation.

I'd add Tangled up In Blue to the list above.

However, for me, this is the nearest Dylan ever got to really emotional singing- just glorious and close to perfect. Can't imagine anyone bettering this

Also making covers of anything on Time Out of Mind would be futile.

Whoa there!

Make You Feel My Love “is one of the few songs to have achieved the status of becoming a "standard" in the 21st century, having been covered by more than 450 different artists.”

I like the Bryan Ferry version myself, as does my Mum, who can’t stand Dylan.

Covering “Sad-Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands” would be a challenge, I suspect.

He’s written some great songs but I always find his voice unbearable & his music more akin to a high street busker.

We are like very different things.

I'd add Tangled up In Blue to the list above.

However, for me, this is the nearest Dylan ever got to really emotional singing- just glorious and close to perfect. Can't imagine anyone bettering this

I'm a Dylan fan. I own every album he's ever released. I've a few copies of some albums.

But Jeff Tweedy does a great cover of that song.

I'm a Dylan fan. I own every album he's ever released. I've a few copies of some albums.

But Jeff Tweedy does a great cover of that song.
Now hold on, you're just turning this into that other thread. 🤔😀

Btw, where is his Tangled up in Blue?

Ain’t Talkin from Modern Times. I think Dylan’s voice has got better as he’s got older.

Also Tweeter and the Monkey Man - Traveling Wilburys. It had to be Dylan doing lead vocal.

Now hold on, you're just turning this into that other thread. 🤔😀

Btw, where is his Tangled up in Blue?

I can't find it lol. I caught it on YouTube back when I heard him cover Simple Twist. Unless I imagined it.

And apologies for the derailment haha.

Queen Jane Approximately - no one else could come close (and nobody else could have written it)

Lay Lady Lay has always pleased me - and I like the attempt at singing that Dylan makes with his song

Lol.

Was it Shawshank Redemption that quoted a man could be judged on his shoes?
Forget it - what's your favourite Dylan album?

advertisement

Back