advertisement

BNC Connectors + Cable

Personally I'd always recommend using Belden 1694A cable with suitable 75R BNC connectors for digital duties. The cable performs well to over 3GHz which is the limitation for BNC connectors anyway.
Something like this from Canford Audio would do the job and so cheap you could buy a dozen :)

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/...U11-BNC-3G-Male-cable-rear-twist-Belden-1694A

Personally I use Belden 1694A with Canare 75R BNC connectors that I bought off a well known UK seller on e-bay for about £20 and it easily outperformed a Chord Co. Shawline digital cable.

For what its' worth I've personally measured some generic 50R and 75R RS coax cables and found them to have very poor impedance above a couple of hundred MHz and certainly not as good as the Belden cable. What is really important when making up cable like this is the integrity of attaching the connectors to the cable itself so it's important the supplier has the correct crimp tools and knows how to use them if the full performance is to be achieved.

I'm not really a diy'er when it comes to hifi, ....
Thought I should add a link to one BNC connector. YARBO BNC-001A BNC Connector 75 Ohm Ø8.5mm - Audiophonics

Quite enjoy DIY cable making but when it comes to anything involving crimping or 'F' type screw or push on fittings I just give up the will to live ... hate them with a vengeance :(

My CA tuner has an F type connection and I ended up using an adapter to convert it to RCA ...

Personally I use Belden 1694A with Canare 75R BNC connectors that I bought off a well known UK seller on e-bay for about £20 and it easily outperformed a Chord Co. Shawline digital cable.
In what respect did it outperform the competition?

For what its' worth I've personally measured some generic 50R and 75R RS coax cables and found them to have very poor impedance above a couple of hundred MHz and certainly not as good as the Belden cable.
100 MHz is more than enough bandwidth for S/PDIF.

'miktec'
I wasn't really looking forward to doing the job :D

'OldSkool'
If you're right then my brother has paid £130 per cable too much :(

advertisement

Back