advertisement

BMX Bikes

richardg

Admonishtrator
Any gurus here? We just discovered Strasbourg has the largest indoor centre in Europe and rents BMX bikes out. So we went, and my 8 year-old is won over. Me too. I raced a Mongoose in the early 80s for a couple of years. I have fond memories of that, as you can get going and not come last very quickly, therefore feel you are alright at it. And the buzz of being in an organised race gets you as soon as you arrive at the venue.

Stunt BMXing totally eluded me, I had zero skill. Yet I am sure I raced with just a BMX. Not a cross BMX, also not a downhill BMX, racing BMX, stunt BMX...I think that is it. I also don't recall them being available in different wheel sizes.

Anyone know what to get for an 8 year-old interested in racing? The websites are interesting but I am not getting the info I need.

Local friendly bike shop? Mine has a collection of BMX bikes on the ceiling, worth more than all the carbon beauties on the floor!

I don't know much about them at all. I think wheel size is fixed by racing regs, and the absence of gears. But go for it, it looks a lot of fun.

Local friendly bike shop? Mine has a collection of BMX bikes on the ceiling, worth more than all the carbon beauties on the floor!
We will go back to the centre, as we didn't ask questions at all. I was expecting it to be one type and size for all, as I remember it being.

Nothing on the bikes themselves. But a quick look at online sellers of race BMX bikes showed little variation except for size of frame.

Fabulous.

We had a Diamond Back Harry Leary Turbo and a Raleigh Aero Pro burner back in the day.

My dad was clearing out the shed and both bikes went to the dump and were thrown into the metal recycling bin in about 2003 :mad::confused:

I know nothing about new bikes, but old ones yes :cool:

Fabulous.

We had a Diamond Back Harry Leary Turbo and a Raleigh Aero Pro burner back in the day.

My dad was clearing out the shed and both bikes went to the dump and were thrown into the metal recycling bin in about 2003 :mad::confused:

I know nothing about new bikes, but old ones yes :cool:
lol

^^ I might have done worse: I sold the BMX my son had built himself for £150 to a Polish tradesman.
His recent purchase of a Triumph Bonneville may be some kind of revenge.

He probably gave you what it was worth. £150 gets you a help of a lot of bike. Now I know some of these things are collectors' items but outside the world of bmx getting £150 for something out of a shed is hard work. I've been given a shed bike and sorted it out, it's a decent ride to work or pub bike. Can I get £30 for it? Can I f***. This is for a decent, running, basic bike, all there.

Afaicr there are two wheel sizes both confusingly called 20". The standard bmx wheel with a ertro of 406mm and a narrower one with an ertro of 451mm.

Neither of which are actually 20" at the rim, both both are near 20" with the standard sized tyre fitted.

Wheel sizes, dont get me started.

I’ve seen the little plastic race numbers going for hundreds of pounds. It’s just incredible.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back