advertisement

BMW 1 series better headlamps

nobeone

Total Member
My wife's BMW 1 series has rubbish headlamps, compared to my Polo bought 1 year later, the difference in night vision is huge. I am not looking for anything illegal or indeed legal but so bright as to be off putting to other drivers, but something that will make her safer driving in the dark! We live down miles of single track lanes. At night I can see well in the Polo, when driving her car I just can't. I know there was a more expensive option for headlamps on the BMW which this particular car doesn't have. I assume it would be cheaper to fit myself some replacement lamps than try to get the official BMW upgrade retrospectively. Any advice from PFM petrol heads? The car is a 2014 BMW 1 series 120d 14 plate. I see Philips white vision mentioned elsewhere, anybody got any experience of these? Cheers.

My wife's BMW 1 series has rubbish headlamps, compared to my Polo bought 1 year later, the difference in night vision is huge. I am not looking for anything illegal or indeed legal but so bright as to be off putting to other drivers, but something that will make her safer driving in the dark! We live down miles of single track lanes. At night I can see well in the Polo, when driving her car I just can't. I know there was a more expensive option for headlamps on the BMW which this particular car doesn't have. I assume it would be cheaper to fit myself some replacement lamps than try to get the official BMW upgrade retrospectively. Any advice from PFM petrol heads? The car is a 2014 BMW 1 series 120d 14 plate. I see Philips white vision mentioned elsewhere, anybody got any experience of these? Cheers.
I upgraded to Philip’s white vision a few years back. Maybe it’s because I mostly drive on lit roads, but I barely noticed a difference and went back to regular bulbs when they went (they had a shorter life, too).

I agree the lights are not good. Proper scary on a 135i ! I thought it was just old age and minimised driving at night.

A daft point but just thought I'd mention it anyway.

I have the same car here and also thought headlights were a bit lacking.

However, adjusting the Up/down wheel to the right of the main headlight switch improved things no end. I now have the No1 sign fully on show.

The other setting on mine anyway fires headlights almost straight in to the ground and this killed the range and perceived brightness of them.

Auto Express regularly test headlamp bulbs as well as other replacement parts. 2018 results at the link below, but check out how you replace the bulbs before you go any further. Some cars are a nightmare for this, and can require some dismantling. Halfords will fit bulbs bought from them for a small fee, but make sure the fitter knows that they shouldn't touch the glass as it reduces the life of the bulb.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2018

My wifes mini has the same problem. The upgraded bulbs help but not night and day difference. The new led bulbs are good just avoid dodgy ebay ones which can be illegal.

Bulb change is easy on the OP's car thanks to nice sensibly placed screw off access holes. Unlike some of the Mrs''s little city cars where front end needs to come off!!

Bulb change is easy on the OP's car thanks to nice sensibly placed screw off access holes. Unlike some of the Mrs''s little city cars where front end needs to come off!!
It does strike me as odd that, given the requirement to carry spare bulbs is a legal requirement in some EU countries, eg France, cars can be designed in ways that make a roadside replacement all but impossible (especially in the dark). This would seem to completely negate the need to carry spares in the car in the first place.

Some good points, the BMW looks easy enough to get at the bulbs, I will go try in a bit if it stops raining - unlike a Megane I had the misfortune of owning for a while, that required jacking up, wheel off, access patch in wheel arch removed, then blind fumbling through a small hole in the chassis crumple zone with your arm/hand in a horrific twist. Never "buying" French again :p

I usually look at the auto express reviews, didn't this time, dunno why good shout, Philips racing bulbs are their recommendation. Hmm.

In the end, just make sure cars you buy have good HID or similar headlights. Changing bulbs only brings a slight improvement for. OST modern cars. However, if the headlight units have aged at all you’ll be throwing good money after bad.

Two questions come to mind having read these useful posts.
1. Does bulb performance deteriorate over years?
2. Kenny’s Suggestion about raising the beam height. Should that be done with the lights shining on a garage door to get it right? (I’m just aware of the nuisance badly adjusted headlights can present).

2. Kenny’s Suggestion about raising the beam height. Should that be done with the lights shining on a garage door to get it right? (I’m just aware of the nuisance badly adjusted headlights can present).

Headlight adjustment switches are there to allow for loads being carried in the boot. The basic setting of the headlights should be adjusted to as high as the MOT will allow. Cars equipped with HID headlights level themselves automatically.

Good point. I was going to change the bulbs as the OP was. At my friends MOT station he suggested this fix, spread of beam on this setting was in parameters Dec so that was job done.

They were aggressively low on the low setting and a switch has brought them back to basically normal.

The garage door test will show you the amount of lift too so is a good idea. I'm certain this will vary from car to car too.

1. There seems to be a suggestion that, yes, lamps deteriorated over time. Since this suggestion comes from places selling lamps ... I'm not sure!

A daft point but just thought I'd mention it anyway.

I have the same car here and also thought headlights were a bit lacking.

However, adjusting the Up/down wheel to the right of the main headlight switch improved things no end. I now have the No1 sign fully on show.

The other setting on mine anyway fires headlights almost straight in to the ground and this killed the range and perceived brightness of them.
Well, well, well, seems somebody had adjusted the setting to towing a heavy load! I have adjusted the setting to level and will see what the Mrs says, great shout Kenny! Seems all replacements that are brighter are also (much) shorter life or longer life but no brighter, so I will let her try correctly adjusted lamps for a bit then tell me whether she wants any new bulbs, you my friend, are owed a drink! Not going to the Bristol show are you?!!?

I agree the lights are not good. Proper scary on a 135i ! I thought it was just old age and minimised driving at night.
I tried a 135 as a test drive before buying the 120d, nice car, I choose an X drive for the love of my life for fear of her swapping ends on bends in a rear wheel drive, only available as a 120d, now only available as automatic in M sport ... sigh, would happily buy same again *if* they did a manual petrol X drive 1 series ... nvm

Ahh so it is old age :(
Dentist friend of mine gave me some quote of how much brighter light older eyes need for the same clarity of vision ... sadly it might be ... depends on what you call old, we are mid 40s, young as far as I am concerned, old according to my daughters

Well, well, well, seems somebody had adjusted the setting to towing a heavy load! I have adjusted the setting to level and will see what the Mrs says, great shout Kenny! Seems all replacements that are brighter are also (much) shorter life or longer life but no brighter, so I will let her try correctly adjusted lamps for a bit then tell me whether she wants any new bulbs, you my friend, are owed a drink! Not going to the Bristol show are you?!!?

Many thanks for that, fingers crossed it is now sorted. Hope Mrs. see's a big improvement which I'm certain she will.

I drove mine to Spain in October and we did a lot of night time driving in the campo where it is dark, ie pitch black 100% dark. Lights were perfect and as good as any other car. And that was with silly beam deflectors on too.

Cheers

advertisement

Back