advertisement

Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones?

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
Having recently returned to using trains a lot, I’d really like some over ear Bluetooth noise cancelling cans.

Looking at a few up to £300, but was wondering how good some of the cheaper ones were. Erring towards Sony’s offerings which range from £80 to £280.

Any users here? Any reccomemdations? Less I feel I have to spend, the better.

Cheers

I bought a pair the Sennheiser HD-450SE in last year's Black Friday event and have used them on occasional rail journeys and find them quite acceptable. They have brought out a newer model, the Accentum. Not heard them but reviews look favourable.

Less... s/h Bose QC25 with a bluetooth adaptor.

e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18620036...pid=5338728743&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Sound is good, they use an AAA battery so you can immediatelt use a spare if they run out of juice...and they won't die ..compared with when the non replaceable battery in a newer model dies (landfill).
They also work wired so you don't need batteries at all if you run out of juice (assuming you still have a headphone jack on the phone of course....which many don't now).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Apple, Bose, Sony, B&W, Sennheiser, Dali, and B&O are all good (there are many others, of course). Guess it comes down to what you value most - NC, SQ, comfort, battery power, and/or portability. Personal preference: Sennheiser, Dali and Apple.

A couple of months back I bought refurb sennheiser hd450se for £59 from the sennheiser uk shop website outĺet. They have a steadily changing selection of products. Mine were as new in a brown box.

If top ANC performance is a priority then Sony WH-1000XM4 or XM5.

For sound quality Sennheiser may be the better bet.

Only Sony, Bose and Apple have their own proprietary ANC tech - hence they are the best at it.

Having recently returned to using trains a lot, I’d really like some over ear Bluetooth noise cancelling cans.

Looking at a few up to £300, but was wondering how good some of the cheaper ones were. Erring towards Sony’s offerings which range from £80 to £280.

Any users here? Any reccomemdations? Less I feel I have to spend, the better.

Cheers
I like Sony’s offering and have the discontinued WH-1000XM3 which I picked up 2 years ago online for a good price. I like the sound but just as important, the fit works for me. If you can get to a John Lewis store they often have a good selection to try in your price range. I came from using a pair of older Bose (25s?? cant recall code) and they too where excellent and had heavy use on my then 4hr train commute (which I did for quite a few years). I think the noise cancelling has moved on from my Bose phones which would have been from around 2013.

If top ANC performance is a priority then Sony WH-1000XM4 or XM5.

For sound quality Sennheiser may be the better bet.

Only Sony, Bose and Apple have their own proprietary ANC tech - hence they are the best at it.

Mirrors my experience: Bose, Apple, and Sony for ANC.

If top ANC performance is a priority then Sony WH-1000XM4
My wife has these, son has the XM3's, had for maybe 2-3 and 4 years respectively now, both sets were quite expensive but they are both very happy with them. They are in ear buds if that's your thing, bought 'cos I couldn't quite stomach the cost of the Apple pro equivalents.

WH-1000 etc = headphones - up to XM5 now.

WF-1000 etc = in-ear buds - up to XM5 now (the WF XM3's were pretty chunky and have been bettered now).

My wife has the Sony WF-1000XM4 ones and my son has the model before (M3). I bought them 'cos I'm too tight to pay for the Apple Pro whatever they are for a marginal difference they don't care about. They both love them.

My daughter (15) has J Lab ones, has had them for 3-4 years. Now they are knackered and she wants some new ones, I suggested some fancy ones like her brother/mum have (it's a birthday present so she doesn't have to think about costs) and she rejected them outright saying she wanted J Lab Go Air Pop ones... she's had some before and she wants them again etc etc. (They are about £20). She specifically DOES NOT want noise cancelling. She uses them very intensively and knows what she wants....

Neither my son nor my wife (she travels by train) actually use the noise cancelling, all 3 say it cuts you off from reality and can be dangerous (eg walking to work etc). They're right, really.

Maybe you need to spend less that you think.

Bought some top of ranges bose buds and had to send them back for a refund, the connection between my phone and buds kept dropping out and was continually doing factory resets - have a read through John Lewis Reviews, plenty had the same issue.

I ended up replacing them with the Sony XM5s, they've been and are brilliant.

Sony XM5 here, superb noise cancellation. Recently had a flight with a screaming kid behind me, I went to sleep no problem and woke up on landing.

advertisement

Back