advertisement

Bluesound Node / 2i

I’m really interested in the power supply upgrades but not convinced I want to spend £800 modifying a £400 streamer.

Options from PD Creative in Poland look interesting though.

https://pd-cf.com/product-category/bluesound-node-2-en/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluesoun...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 & the option with a basic psu is a few quid more but currently out of stock.

Or the board from Fidelity Audio and perhaps a lower cost psu (i.e. IFI) from elsewhere.

Sorry, which is the £800 option?

Just trying to decide which PS option, if any, to go for & I haven't seen that one yet.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The pfm constituency has spoken and it rather likes bluesound.

Looks like I’ll go for a node plus the Teddy psu.

This means it’s time for a clearout of the bits and bobs I’ve acquired over the years so I’ll be listing some stuff shortly.

Please don’t view this as the end of the thread; I’ve enjoyed the posts so far and I hope they keep coming.

Wonder how it stacks up compared to a Node2i with a better psu?

Unfortunately I didn't tried. Sonic distance between two units was so huge after few sessions we made with the different dacs that I immediately kicked out 2i from my system. It's much more brainer to improve N15D with better power cord than continue to invest time and money in Node 2i. For 800-1000 EUR price range, compared with Node 2i + psu there is a few better options like mentioned Innuos or entry Melco. Just my 0.02 cents.

Node 2i is a great bit of kit. Beresford DAC + PSU makes a difference, but how much is debatable, if that adds anything to this discussion. Very good with Spotify and outstandingly good with newly recorded music on Tidal MQA (multiple-upgrades good!!). As for the software, handy with an iPad, but I find myself regularly closing everything down and starting again.

Thanks for the feedback on Qobuz. To be clear, it just shows up as a music source along with music on the NAS and internet radios. IT’s searchable etc.? What I don’t want is it to just be some Bluetooth speaker device where you need to be running Qobuz software on another device.

p.s. how about stuff from the bbc - on demand material accessed mostly via the bbc sounds app. How am I supposed to know what I can compost from the kitchen without my weekly dose of GQT?

Unfortunately I didn't tried. Sonic distance between two units was so huge after few sessions we made with the different dacs that I immediately kicked out 2i from my system. It's much more brainer to improve N15D with better power cord than continue to invest time and money in Node 2i. For 800-1000 EUR price range, compared with Node 2i + psu there is a few better options like mentioned Innuos or entry Melco. Just my 0.02 cents.

Thanks. I’m open to alternatives but like
many others I really like the Node2i and I’d challenge anyone not to like the sound that’s coming from my DAC. £400 streamer into a £6k DAC is possibly unusual though!

I’m using the Node2i with a LPSU which costs as much as the streamer into a £3.5k DAC and it sounds fantastic. I know other Node2i users who partner it with some pretty expensive DACs and amps (Flash’s lovely Audia Flight amp comes to mind) so it’s not a mismatch by any stretch of the imagination.

I am using the 2i as a streamer to a Rega DACR. I also bought the Polish psu interface upgrade and then an s booster BOTW external power supply. There was a massive thread on this in the WAM, and the Sbooster was the recommended upgrade. Don't know how it compares to the Teddy Pardo.

Just bought one of these here. This seems like the best thread to resurrect to add a few thoughts:

Thank god for useable software/app! I have a Stack Audio Link 2 and do use the 'detox' in the main system (not sure it does anything) but trying to set the thing up as a streamer is too painful to revisit. The Node was playing Qobuz via iPhone and laptop in 3 minutes.

I bought this primarily for casual headphone listening using the RCAs so what I'm about to say doesn't really matter: The sound is a bit disappointing, almost lo-fi, congested, (these are exaggerations) but music does flow nicely and further listening is needed. I am running (Mark Grant) coax out to a 2Qute in this context and the sound is noticeably worse than even the Qobuz desktop app running via USB to the same dac from an Apple silicone MacBook Pro. Didn't really expect that.

I know the LPSU upgrade is much lauded (and I have the dac already and a Sean Jacobs DC2 or three in a cupboard, but none at 5V, I suppose I could convert one). I'll listen more, especially via headphones before any decision on that.

What I can say is it's nicely built, fits in my rack, and on the software side - works!

Doesn't surprise me that the Silicon Mac beat the "streamer", similar result here with an M1 Macmini vs the fairly well regarded Allo streamer. I even had a DC3+ converted to 5V and the stock Macmini still won.

RCA out to a Sugden Headmaster/headphones is very satisfying so the Node is definitely fit for the main purpose I bought it for. I’d have to fiddle around to get a signal from the Node’s own headphone output and don’t think I’ll bother.

I've a Node 2i into a Denafrips Pontus II via optical.
Quite good sound quality considering this streamer's price. The UI is very good and it works flawlessly almost 100% of the time.
I stream Qobuz and Tidal.

I'm very happy with my Node 2i. I heard one at the fabulous audio gold in London, through a new pair of rogers, sounded fantastic

Update.

I needed a new computer so bought an M1 mac mini thinking it would be a good source. Yes it works but I’m not convinced it’s any better than my old 2010 imac.

There is also a problem with the mini not “seeing” the Teddy dac. I have to manually reset this every time which means I need to use a screen. Still thinking of a Bluesound plus Teddy psu but perhaps an old macbook or macbook air could be a cheaper solution. Would be interesting to hear the difference between the 2 options bit I very much doubt that somebody has done this.

My M1Pro MacBook "sees" all 7 dacs I've tried it with so I'd speak to Teddy about that. It sounds better than the Node 2i into a Chord 2Qute but not by much.

advertisement

Back