advertisement

Blues Thread 2010

Paul L

coffee lounge for me
(merge with another if I've missed one when looking)

I bought Buddy Guy's "Skin Deep" album last year and really liked it. The old bu88ar can still cut it plus he gets to play with guests of course. One of the toons called "Who's Gonna Fill Those Shoes". The words unsurprisingly edifying the old dudes and speculating on, well, the title.

As a blues fan (as in agonising guitar cries, bit of widdly widdly but not too much, undefinable polish and grit combined) I often wonder who's next. I bought 'White Sugar' on a whim by Joanne Shaw Taylor and am an instant fan. 23, first album, cut her teeth on the circuit for a few years before recording etc.

Presumably there is other new blood that should be on any good listening list.

British youngster Oli Brown is my tip for bigger things, he has put a lot of work in touring small venues over the last couple of years, well worth seeing if he is in your area.

The John Mayer Trio live album from a couple of years ago you will like I think if you don't have it

The John Mayer Trio live album from a couple of years ago you will like I think if you don't have it
To many screaming girl fans on it for my liking, he is only an ok player IMHO.

Ooh, friday 21st May - Oli Brown supported by Virgil & The Accelerators and Joanne Shaw Taylor at my local blues club, less than a mile away! May be popping down there that night.
Seen both Virgil... and Taylor at the same club late last year and they're both well worth the watch.

Mick

Damn, that looks good. I hadn't spotted that on the 21st so you're in Sutton right? I planned on the Jazz Cafe on the 26th May although their site show snothing and they confirmed same by email.

Friday nights are usually a problem as I have my daughter staying over but I might just make the 21st an exception. She's too young to go BTW and doesn't like Dad's music. No change in this generation then.

To many screaming girl fans on it for my liking, he is only an ok player IMHO.

On the other live ones I agree - I would have liked to have the crowd noise mixed right out. The JMT album (Paladino on bass - Entwhistle replacement in latest version of The Who - and Steve Jordan on drums) is a lot more raw and rocky

Thats the one I have, I purchased it after seeing him perform Gravity on the EC Crossroads dvd, the version on the live cd is pretty poor in comparison.

Try a few of the following:

Zac Harmon
Ronnie Baker Brooks
Candye Kane - a hell of a pair of lungs
Joe Louis Walker
Rick Estrin
The Mannish Boys
Super Chikan
Louisiana Red
Marquise Knox - remember he was only 16 when he recorded this!
Monkey Junk
Janiva Mangness
Michael Burks
John Nemeth
Betty LaVette - if you like your "B" with a little "R&" before it!
Doug Macleod

And one of my local performers, all time favourites - & not to mention the best slide guitar player of all time: Roy Rogers - if you ever get the chance to see him live DO NOT MISS IT.

Try the Paul Jones show on Radio 2

Home grown brit band Paul Lamb & the Kingsnakes are very good try a live album with Johnnie Whitehead lead guitar

Robert Cray

Damn, that looks good. I hadn't spotted that on the 21st so you're in Sutton right? I planned on the Jazz Cafe on the 26th May although their site show snothing and they confirmed same by email.

Friday nights are usually a problem as I have my daughter staying over but I might just make the 21st an exception. She's too young to go BTW and doesn't like Dad's music. No change in this generation then.

Paul - yep, I live in Sutton, less than a mile from SUFC - not a footy fan but I love live blues!

Mick

I struggle with them both. Gary Moore's cliched guitar ripping and have never liked his voice. Robert Cray seems to get caught in his chords so has a sort of muddled sound. It's all personal view of course. Will check out some of the recommendations along the way.

Joe Bonamassa is well worth a look esp some of his earlier albums, he is drifting away from the blues with some of his later material.

I struggle with them both. Gary Moore's cliched guitar ripping and have never liked his voice. Robert Cray seems to get caught in his chords so has a sort of muddled sound. It's all personal view of course. Will check out some of the recommendations along the way.

Paul, have you heard GM's Blues For Greeny?

The title is self explanatory, the playing is wonderfully evocative.

Mr Tibbs

advertisement

Back