advertisement

Blue at 50

I think the first one I got may have been Ladies of the Canyon which is a long way from being my favourite but I still love For Free.

IMO the run of albums from Blue through to Mingus is one of the towering achievements of music (with Hejira as its apex). Even the later weaker albums are better than most other artists better albums. Her artistic development from folk ingenue in the early albums to sophisticated jazz diva in her later years is a wonder to behold. Her guitar playing was unique, atmospheric and mesmeric. The respect she is held in by her fellow musicians tells all you need to know about her status and importance.

Prompted by this thread, I am playing our vinyl copy that I purchased as a gift to The Wife.
It sounds reet good.

Must dig out the c.d’s we have. Not sure when they are from.

Still available on amazon I think. >
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KRN61S/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

R-2571066-1291024413.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Joni Mitchell ‎– Blue
Label:
Reprise Records ‎– 74842
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, 180g, Gatefold
US
Released:
Genre:
Rock
Style:
Folk Rock

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Burning Shed are taking pre-orders on a host of Joni archive stuff.

Search - joni (burningshed.com)

This seems to be the way of the world these days - many a musician's pension plan I guess once they've passed their creative peaks and the touring years.

I'm increasingly ambivalent about these "previously unreleased recording" sets. I've got a few of the Dylan ones and all of the Miles ones but tbh find myself reaching for the original records rather than these. I tend to find even the best of them more curiosity items than essential listens.

…and all of the Miles ones…

The Miles stuff has some real gems due to the way he recorded and then Teo Mecreo cut and shut stuff together. I’d rank the Complete In The Corner, Complete Jack Johnson and Cellar Door boxes as real high watermarks of his whole career as they contain the raw material. Can are potentially interesting too, Live In Stuttgart 75 released a month or so ago is truly superb.

I’d be fascinated to hear later Joni outtakes etc from the jazz/Weather Report period to see how those songs came together.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Got into Mingus which I still love, and worked back from there. I think there a musical snobbery at work, why compare her to anyone, I thing she’s musically unique. Her arts better than Dylan, the only thing they have in common is growing old gracefully.

Got into Mingus which I still love, and worked back from there. I think there a musical snobbery at work, why compare her to anyone, I thing she’s musically unique. Her arts better than Dylan, the only thing they have in common is growing old gracefully.
Poor Bob. Amazing how a thread for one artist ends up in giving stick to someone else. Just saying

advertisement

Back