advertisement

Blu Ray player and streaming, advice please.

ariegur

pfm Member
My system LP12, CDX, 82, 250, SBL.

I want to add blu ray player that will function as a good streamer regarding sound quality.
In the internet I see players with tag price of 100 - 200 $ compared to more expansive 1,000$.
I have also noticed that many of the more expansive players are from Japan, Pioneer and Panasonic that have excellent features.
Another interesting blu ray player is the Cambridge.

What in your opinion will be the best for me with max price of 1,000$?

Arye

Assume you want UHD 4K. What streaming services do you want to access?

I don’t see a DAC so a player with a decent onboard DAC and analogue output stage is what I’d be looking for.

The Panasonic UB9000 may suit, have a look at some reviews.

https://hometheaterreview.com/panasonic-dp-ub9000-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

Alternatively get a DAC and a lower end Sony/Panny/Samsung chosen for their features/interface. A Chord Hugo maybe as they seem popular with Naim owners.

The Cambridge is a Transport only, no DAC/Analogue RCA outs

Gus

Assume you want UHD 4K. What streaming services do you want to access?

I don’t see a DAC so a player with a decent onboard DAC and analogue output stage is what I’d be looking for.

The Panasonic UB9000 may suit, have a look at some reviews.

https://hometheaterreview.com/panasonic-dp-ub9000-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

Alternatively get a DAC and a lower end Sony/Panny/Samsung chosen for their features/interface. A Chord Hugo maybe as they seem popular with Naim owners.

The Cambridge is a Transport only, no DAC/Analogue RCA outs

Gus

I have Teddy Dac so your idea seems to be great. Maybe the Sony x-800 m2 will be good enough?

Arye

Make a list of what you want, Netflix, Tidal etc.

Also depends on your TV and what it supports like HDR10/Dolby Vision - not all devices support all the new twidly bits - some get firmware updates some don't or rarely - check the manufacturer's rep for updates

Sony 800M2 has Coax out so should suit well as long as it has the features you need it looks a good option, it's missing some higher end options but does tonemapping so good if your TV is a bit older.

Pretty sure that range supports all the new gizmos HDR10/Dolby Vision/HLG

Basically down to budget, generally the more expensive the player, say £600 up, the less streaming features you get - Oppo/Pioneer/Cambridge lag behind the mainstream Sony/Panny/Sammy/LG at a £2-300

So I think that I can buy the Sony x700 but must add a good streamer.
Can you recommend a not expensive good streamer?
I am streaming Tidal with a cheap Xiaomi box, the sound is awful,

Arye

So I think that I can buy the Sony x700 but must add a good streamer.
Can you recommend a not expensive good streamer?
I am streaming Tidal with a cheap Xiaomi box, the sound is awful,

Arye

Are you talking about streaming music, or streaming video services?

A basic good quality music streamer with a DAC is a Blusound Node 2i. You can then also plug this into your own DAC and see if it performs better or not.

I have a Sony UHD player and its fine. I use the digital out into my DAC for the rare days of playing a CD.

advertisement

Back