advertisement

Blu ray audio

snaphappybob

pfm Member
Does anyone have any experience of the format?
I've got an Oppo 203 which sounds rather good with my small collection of SACDs.
Just thought of trying some BRA if I can find something I like at a reasonable price.

I have a few as well. As ever, choose music first, format second for theoretical improvement don't mean diddly squat when the Neandertals are in charge of mixing and mastering!

I have these:
David Gilmour - Rattle that lock
Pink Floyd - Endless River
Yes - Yes Album
Yes - Tales...
Yes - Fragile
Elton John - Godbye Yellow Brick Road

French language
Mylène Farmer - Monkey Me
Zazie - La Zizanie
Zazie - Cyclo

Finnish language
Chisu - Kun Valaistun

Classical
Vivaldi - Four Seasons (NAXOS)

If you like the music, they are worth it. However, unlike classical SACDs I am not actively looking for more. Downloads do it for me. All my silver discs have been ripped no matter the format.

I have these:
David Gilmour - Rattle that lock
Pink Floyd - Endless River
Yes - Yes Album
Yes - Tales...
Yes - Fragile
Elton John - Godbye Yellow Brick Road

French language
Mylène Farmer - Monkey Me
Zazie - La Zizanie
Zazie - Cyclo

Finnish language
Chisu - Kun Valaistun

Classical
Vivaldi - Four Seasons (NAXOS)

If you like the music, they are worth it. However, unlike classical SACDs I am not actively looking for more. Downloads do it for me. All my silver discs have been ripped no matter the format.

A few interesting titles there.

Some deluxe editions include a DVD with stereo mixes in 24/48 (e.g. Genesis - Selling England) or 24/96 (e.g. Yes- Close to the edge, Relayer)

Beware of eBay mad-pricing... The hi-res download is often much cheaper than the disc :)

If you have any interest in classical music, there is a decent range on the LSO Live label. They also include an SACD hybrid in addition to the blu-ray disc. The technical experts say that hi-res is important during the recording/mastering stages but the CD is just as good as the Blu-ray for payback. I would not argue either way but the LSO recordings are very good in both types of disc replay. One benefit of blu-ray is they can run for much longer than a CD which has a limit of around 80 minutes whereas I have an audio blu-ray with over 3 hours music at either 24b/192k 2 channel LPCM or 24b/192k DTS-HD MA 5.1 channel.

I use my Oppo's (105 & 205) mainly for watching/listening to opera on video blu-ray which are 24b/48k with excellent results for both picture & sound. I also use the Oppo's hdmi input for listening to many internet radio stations (320 kpbs) from various places around the world using my Apple i-Pod & i-Pad. The sound quality is comparable to BBC Radio 3 depending on the type of music being played - Radio 3 seems to have a fuller sound on some music but not as good when compressed on live concerts.

advertisement

Back