advertisement

Bloody Royal Mail

And this is a loss to both the customers and RM staff. When you know your local postie, you’re far more inclined to take stuff in and take it to someone in the street when they get home. Likewise the posties know about who lives in the street and are a reassuring, valued presence. We and I’m sure most folk thank them when we meet them, for their service and tip them at Christmas.

PO is dead - around here no one knows who their postie is. My last encounter was with a random who refused to leave in my safe place. Argumentative twat

we have had our postmen for years . know them by name and they do a superb job . last christmas a very nasty guy got very aggressive with 2 of them in their postvan and started trying to open the door . i had to intervene verbally to help protect them and it was not a pleasant experience i.e involving a lot of F.. and hoping i had a rotten christmas in less polite terms . i dont know how they put up with this stuff really

In making enquiries this morning at our main post office as to the whereabouts of an International Parcel I sent to China 'tracked and signed for' over 4 weeks ago I discovered that the reason online tracking only shows that the parcel has been received at my local post office is because parcels are no longer scanned at each stage of their journey. The counter clerk told me that my parcel was at Heathrow awaiting a flight. When I asked how did he know and why was this information not also availble to me via my online tracking he finally had to admit that he just assumed it was at Heathrow. This was my second journey to the main post office the first one failing because they only opened on a Friday for 2 hours between 9 and 11 (which begs the question 'why bother'). Prior to this I made a visit to my local post office only to be told they could not help and made a phone call to Royal Mail where I was unable to speak to a real person but was fobbed off by that awful time consuming electronic answerering system that simply said that my parcel was on its way. Yes, under the present circumstaces of industrial disputes, Christmas and covid problems in China I can accept undue long delays but it would be nice to know where my goods are at present.

If some smartass manager in Royal Mail decides to save money, and so increase the overpaid chairmans massive bonuses, by reducing tracking scanning at each stage, as it was in the past, then I expect to be informed of that change. Surely it's in RMs interest that they scan parcels at each stage of their journey then at least they will know for those parcels that have been pilfered which part of the country the robbing twats they employ are operating. Conversely perhaps Mr Smartass wants a few more parcels to go missing so as to justify more extortion in excessive insurance charges for compensation.

RM was a national institution, a treasure and ours. It used to be so efficient and trustworthy that addtional insurance need never to even be a consideration. Now in private ownership it is broken and a perfect target for running down and asset stripping; and worse still nobody cares.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that disco but still very impressed that my parcels reached glasgow and northern ireland in 24 hours over a busy holiday period recently . Very impressed indeed

I was expecting a parcel on the 30th. Dec. I had written it off 'til the New Year, as tracking never works.. 'til the parcel arrives, then ye get about 3 confirmations that the parcel has arrived.Kinda pointless. The guy turns up at 7pm. I said that I didn't expect him at this time - said he worked for private contractors, employed during the pandemic and recalled for the strikes' If yer waiting for letters, parcels etc. then blame the private companies, not the posties. This driver was using his own van GPS as the company one "gets a bit confused and can't find addressed." :eek:

One is very angry about the forever increasing workload, suffering from it, and is gung-ho about sticking it to the man.

Interesting as up our way the postie actually deliver less than they used to reflecting what I thought was a national trend but if they are reducing the workforce then I could see this happening in places

by reducing tracking scanning at each stage, as it was in the past, then I expect to be informed of that change

This reduced tracking thing seemed to develop during the pandemic but hasn't returned to 'normal service'. It's one thing I like about 'proper' couriers as per this latest delivery of a 'Starlink' box:-

B4YvNtq.png

OsyzmO0.png

5y7aoH6.png

a2z4VCV.png

Packages can be tracked at every stage of the journey - the technology exists.............. The RM has some work to do.

Regards

Richard

In making enquiries this morning at our main post office as to the whereabouts of an International Parcel I sent to China 'tracked and signed for' over 4 weeks ago I discovered that the reason online tracking only shows that the parcel has been received at my local post office is because parcels are no longer scanned at each stage of their journey. The counter clerk told me that my parcel was at Heathrow awaiting a flight. When I asked how did he know and why was this information not also availble to me via my online tracking he finally had to admit that he just assumed it was at Heathrow. This was my second journey to the main post office the first one failing because they only opened on a Friday for 2 hours between 9 and 11 (which begs the question 'why bother'). Prior to this I made a visit to my local post office only to be told they could not help and made a phone call to Royal Mail where I was unable to speak to a real person but was fobbed off by that awful time consuming electronic answerering system that simply said that my parcel was on its way. Yes, under the present circumstaces of industrial disputes, Christmas and covid problems in China I can accept undue long delays but it would be nice to know where my goods are at present.

If some smartass manager in Royal Mail decides to save money, and so increase the overpaid chairmans massive bonuses, by reducing tracking scanning at each stage, as it was in the past, then I expect to be informed of that change. Surely it's in RMs interest that they scan parcels at each stage of their journey then at least they will know for those parcels that have been pilfered which part of the country the robbing twats they employ are operating. Conversely perhaps Mr Smartass wants a few more parcels to go missing so as to justify more extortion in excessive insurance charges for compensation.

RM was a national institution, a treasure and ours. It used to be so efficient and trustworthy that addtional insurance need never to even be a consideration. Now in private ownership it is broken and a perfect target for running down and asset stripping; and worse still nobody cares.

Time to make a claim: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/325/~/claims-centre

I recently used RM special delivery with additional insurance to lend a cartridge to a forum acquaintance, there was a problem with tracking being out of action at the time and when it arrived it had been displaced within the wooden cartridge box and the stylus guard had come off so the cartridge arrived damaged and was down on one channel when auditioned. I have made a claim and thus far all RM have done is insist that I give up the cartridge and all packaging which I am unwilling to do, so am having to escalate the claim to the ombudsman and am expecting to have to threaten court action before they will take this situation seriously. It really feels like insuring an item for delivery is a stealth tax.

I'm flying home in a week. I ordered a suitcase last night around 6pm. It was delivered to my apartment today around 3pm. I don't think it'll do the job so it is getting returned. I leave it downstairs in the basement having scanned a few codes and paid a meagre postage fee......the chaps at the post office will pack it and make it secure before returning to the vendor. I've already been refunded.

You know where I am....stuff just works in general here. If it weren't for the occasional chaos caused by the Chairman it would be even better,

Last week I ordered some new boots from Vivobarefoot to be delivered to my home in Ireland. Paid using a Wise credit card....Vivo took the payent and their web pages said sorry this didn't work. I contacted customer services chat who assured me that my card would be refunded in a week or so....A WEEK OR SO! They don't have my money....I don't have my money and WISE can't help as they say the vendor has received my £260.

You know where I am....shit like this doesn't happen here...refunds are instant!

I'm flying home in a week. I ordered a suitcase last night around 6pm. It was delivered to my apartment today around 3pm. I don't think it'll do the job so it is getting returned. I leave it downstairs in the basement having scanned a few codes and paid a meagre postage fee......the chaps at the post office will pack it and make it secure before returning to the vendor. I've already been refunded.

You know where I am....stuff just works in general here.

That was my experience living in Tokyo too. No one there bothers travelling with luggage - courier picks it up and it's there before you are. People courier their clubs to the golf course and hop on a train.

I recently used RM special delivery with additional insurance to lend a cartridge to a forum acquaintance, there was a problem with tracking being out of action at the time and when it arrived it had been displaced within the wooden cartridge box and the stylus guard had come off so the cartridge arrived damaged and was down on one channel when auditioned. I have made a claim and thus far all RM have done is insist that I give up the cartridge and all packaging which I am unwilling to do, so am having to escalate the claim to the ombudsman and am expecting to have to threaten court action before they will take this situation seriously. It really feels like insuring an item for delivery is a stealth tax.

Sorry - but you didn't pack it adequately. Anything as fragile as a cartridge needs to be packed to the point of confidence it will land undamaged if you throw it out of an upper window.

Surely if they reimburse you the cartridge becomes their property.

Sorry - but you didn't pack it adequately. Anything as fragile as a cartridge needs to be packed to the point of confidence it will land undamaged if you throw it out of an upper window.

It's hard to know. Even when goods are well packed things can go wrong - we've all seen the photos of records folded in half so they'll fit through a letter box! It's thankfully never happened to me but I have had softcover books folding half so they'll fit.

we've all seen the photos of records folded in half so they'll fit through a letter box! It's thankfully never happened to me but I have had softcover books folding half so they'll fit.

Easy solution - get rid of the letter box - they're not very energy efficient anyway.

Regards

Richard

I posted a package to Germany via RM 'Tracked and Signed' just after Christmas and I have the full history via their tracking system on-line, so I don't understand why others haven't had this. I know when it was at LHR and now know it's in Germany about to clear Customs. The whole process has been slick, efficient and I know the RM insurance works well with overseas items - I once had to make a claim for speakers sent to the US.

At the same time I posted an item to a UK address and it got there in less than 24 hours.

You wonder why the differences in experiences described here.

CHE

advertisement

Back