advertisement

Bliss and Euphoria

Mike Hanson

Trying to understand...
When listening to music, I think most people tend to choose material that reflects the complexities of melancholia, rather than emotionally simplistic happiness. I certainly prefer this myself, with most "happy" music causing me to cringe with boredom at the saccharine sweetness.

There are, however, a few exceptions to this rule. I've encountered a number of musical selections which are so uplifting, that I can't help but laugh and dance with unbridled joy. I'm not talking about trite expressions, like Parachute Club's Rise Up. If it's ridden with platitudes, I just can stomach it. I want the music to be happy, without insulting my intelligence.

Unfortunately, my options in this realm are very limited. This thread is dedicated to those tracks that make you feel good, without delving into banal sentimentality.

My first submission: Lemon Jelly's Nice Weather for Ducks, which is described very well in this review:

Lemon Jelly's most dazzling balancing act comes on "Nice Weather for Ducks", which builds, audaciously, off a stridently corny old children's song. "All the ducks are swimming in the water/Fa-la-la-la-la", sings a operatically fruity male voice, promising an unbearable dose of camp but instead heralding the sunniest song I heard all year, a beautiful romp of chiming guitars, muted trumpets and bouncy basslines that impossibly, fabulously shapeshifts mid-way through into a brassy mambo band. A song this giddy risks being insufferable, but Lemon Jelly somehow pull it off. (www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/l/lemonjelly-lost.shtml)

BTW, Spacewalk on the same album also comes very close to making the grade.

Any other suggestions are heartily welcomed!

Mike Hanson

Fatlip - What's up Fatlip ?

MC Paul Barman - I'm Fricking Awesome

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Spike Jones - I Went to Your Wedding

The Association - Windy

Spanky & Our Gang - I'd Like to Get to Know You

Coleman Hawkins - Honeysuckle Rose

Tom Jones - What's Up Pussycat ?

Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn - You're the Reason Our Kids are Ugly

Herb Albert - Spanish Flea

Just about anything by the B-52's, and they've pulled off the same trick on the new album too. Makes me want to frug, shimmy, and do The Mashed Potato.

I've been meaning to get something from The Avalanches. Thanks for the reminder. BTW, that track track had a real 70s feel, and reminded me of Seals and Crofts' "Summer Breeze".

"Windy" is a great track. I loved Sesame Street's take on it. I was surprised not to find it on YouTube.

Mike Hanson

wasn't, "Wake up Boo" by by the Boo Radleys scientifically proven to be the happiest song ever written?

Well, "Wake Up Boo" is certainly a happy track (I had not heard it before). I'll have to look these guys up, as they seem to be having a good time. ;)

Mike Hanson

advertisement

Back