advertisement

Black Tie Wedding

Everyone is different. If Id been invited to a family wedding, I'd try to get out of it. Failing that I would expect to buy new clothes and do my damnedest to look dapper and confident.
I would make sure that what ever I bought fitted well helped me to rock what I've got.
If you can afford quality hifi, surely you can afford to look your best?
Would love to get out of it!

But will definitely do my best to look my best. As much as I resent being told what to wear, I’m not going to rock up in an ill fitting suit and old shoes!

Polyester. But it will do the job for the day. Wool is £300.

I'd be tempted to get the M&S job and flog it for £60 on Ebay afterwards.

Wedding dress codes are naff. Who cares what people are wearing so long as they've made some kind of effort. They fact they've taken the day out to come and wish you well should be more than enough.
You're right. My ex-wife's son is getting married in July, in the country north of Rome. His bride-to-be wants all the front-line participants in morning suits! July afternoon in Umbria! I have begged not to be invited.

His bride-to-be wants all the front-line participants in morning suits!
A marriage is already difficult enough (I reckon), especially so if your main focus is on things other than the relationship itself.

I must say that my GF and I have the absolute luck of not caring at all about the material side of things, social class, bling, all that stuff. This is our jackpot really.

You're right. My ex-wife's son is getting married in July, in the country north of Rome. His bride-to-be wants all the front-line participants in morning suits! July afternoon in Umbria! I have begged not to be invited.
It could be a tad warm. Can you be invited as a secondary guest and turn up in linen trousers, white cotton shirt and a fedora? Thank you, I'll be the chap at the back with the Campari & soda.

I'll be the chap at the back with the Campari & soda.

Will your employers at Del Monte let you have the time off?

Man_from_Del_Monte.png

I don't any of those. I do own many pairs of very nice shoes. All my suits went to the recycling about a month ago. About a dozen of em, most mDe in Delhi, Bangkok or Hong Kong.

Got to attend a funeral tomorrow......
Not sure the yellow thing will be suitable?

Pah - man up! A friend of mine got married on a very posh golf course in Memphis, and I not only wore a three-piece suit in 43 degree heat, another attendee and I were the only ones who adhered to the rule that you do not remove your jacket until the groom does!

Mind you, I did spend a good ten minutes frantically trying to catch his eye to tell him to take his bl**dy jacket off...

It could be a tad warm. Can you be invited as a secondary guest and turn up in linen trousers, white cotton shirt and a fedora? Thank you, I'll be the chap at the back with the Campari & soda.
No, I would have a headache and not go. But they've promised not to invite me.

Pah - man up! A friend of mine got married on a very posh golf course in Memphis, and I not only wore a three-piece suit in 43 degree heat, another attendee and I were the only ones who adhered to the rule that you do not remove your jacket until the groom does!

Mind you, I did spend a good ten minutes frantically trying to catch his eye to tell him to take his bl**dy jacket off...
Didn't know about that rule. Maybe nobody else did.

The macho posturing is great up to the point you need medical assistance.

Didn't know about that rule. Maybe nobody else did.
I'm surprised you didn't. I've even attended summer events where nothing happened until an announcement was made by the organiser.
“The gentlemen may remove their jackets"

I'm surprised you didn't. I've even attended summer events where nothing happened until an announcement was made by the organiser.
I've come across this. It's outdated nonsense that belongs in the past along with women not being allowed to touch the port decanter and "the ladies may wish to repair to the drawing room" so that the men can get pissed without fear of making fools of themselves in front of the women.

Unless they announced at the start that jackets were not to be removed until permission was given, wouldn't most of the gentlemen have already removed them?

I've come across this. It's outdated nonsense that belongs in the past along with women not being allowed to touch the port decanter and "the ladies may wish to repair to the drawing room" so that the men can get pissed without fear of making fools of themselves in front of the women.
I think it's more seen as a bit of old fashioned fun at 'smart' events now Steve. Certainly I've never come across the ladies withdrawing or the port decanter rubbish. All that is rightly dead.
Anyway, you'd never get invited. You are clearly a cad. 😂😂😂

I always thought it had to be a lady who, noticing the "gentlemen's" appalling discomfort for the past three hours, while she is having most of her naked skin coolly caressed by the breeze, suggests that they might want to take off their jackets. But it should be an older lady with social standing.

advertisement

Back