advertisement

Black Sabbath on vinyl?

kasperhauser

pfm Member
I'm after the first five albums, but it's a bit of a free for all. I'm not likely to spring for original swirly label Vertigo ones or "super deluxe" box set reissues of each album at $100+ per. I'd just like good copies to listen to that hopefully sound better than my CD versions, which aren't very good.

My local record store has the Sanctuary versions (I think) in stock for about $35 a pop, plus the ridiculous (imho) box set versions. I figured if I'm going to spend upwards of $200 on the set of five, I should see what the options are.

Are there any other reissues that might be worth seeking out? The folks at Steve Hoffman are a bit divided.

The Sanctuary vinyl that I've purchased has been poor, I think as a company they are happy to take the money for these classic titles but have no interest in selling a quality product. The earlier Rhino pressings were ok but avoid the later ones on coloured vinyl, sq is poor.
Sabbath really do deserve proper reissues by a company that has some respect for the music. Sadly that hasn't happened yet.

I have bought and sold a lot of Black Sabbath albums over the years and have had swirl vertigos of the first 4. I still wince about selling my clarifoiled Paranoid and my VO6 first album about 30 years ago.

The best way to get good sounding cheap copies of the first 6 Sabbath albums are: Early 70’s UK reissues on WWA for the first 4 and NEMS UK reissues of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage - the latter with the non textured sleeve.

A bit more expensive, and also very good sounding, are UK Vertigo spaceship reissues, US Warner Brothers early pressings and German swirl and spaceship vertigo vinyl.

TBH, I haven’t heard a really bad sounding copy of those early Sabbath albums on vinyl apart from the recent reissues, which are horrible.

If you just want good players, though, the first 4 on WWA are a stone bargain.

Good first pressings of Sabotage (NEMS with textured sleeve) and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (WWA Gatefold with inner) can still be had for £50 or so.

£200 should get you good sounding copies of all 6 of their classic albums on discogs. £300 would get you a really nice set.

Avoid all Sabbath vinyl pressed up since the ‘vinyl revival’.

Thank you both, this is very helpful info.

The first five albums are special to me because it was music my older brother loved, and they were among very few albums he bought as they came out. I was too young for Sabbath at the time, but it has stuck with me, and I listen to them often.

Seems like it might be prudent to keep my eyes open for "bargain" US Warner copies and just stick with my CDs for now. Maybe someone will finally do some proper vinyl reissues eventually.

Vertigo swirls are indeed where its at sound wise for the early albums.
Its a shame Iommi & Butler havent got hold of the original masters a la Page, but then I dont suppose Sharon would allow it.

My copy (UK 1st) of 'We Sold Our Soul for Rock & Roll' sounds pretty solid and doesnt break the bank price wise. Its a greatest hits compilation of the early years up to Vol 4.
41rGAxndvPL._SY200_QL15_.jpg

Other than that, there is always Adam Wakeman's toe tapping 'Jazz Sabbath' to really get you in the mood.

51RrhPDhxcL._AC_.jpg

advertisement

Back