advertisement

Bjork - Vespertine

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I listened to Vespertine last night and for the first time, I heard it! I've been enjoying this album since the late '00s, along with a few of her other albums, but I finally heard Vespertine last night in all its magical glory.

I never really picked up the overall aesthetic before but I totally got it last night: it's like it's set inside an enchanted icy cavern but you're all warm and cosy. The strings and sparkles and ethereal sounds are so light and uplifting that they fill the air with the purest and freshest light. And all the while Bjork is telling you a secret story, sometimes by whisper, sometimes by confident declaration.

The album is as pure and true as the driven snow. It'll obviously never be the right choice for every mood. But time it right and you'll find yourself being whisked away... on the back of an enchanted sled, perhaps, to this most magical cavern where a secret story awaits. All you have to do is just press Play and close your eyes...

Fwiw, I listened to the stereo layer of the SACD (ripped and converted to FLAC 24/88.2).

It’s good when this happens.

Vespertine’s a great album, my favourite of hers by quite a margin. Years since I stuck it on though, must have a listen tonight.

Vespertine always features in my top ten record lists whenever I make them. I've not tired of it even though I bought it in the week of release. This would be the Bjork album I'd keep if I could only have 1.

When we got married in 2002, Mrs KJB came down the aisle to Frosti" !

I ended up reading about the album on Wikipedia yesterday and it seems it's supposed to have an intimate presentation, and it totally does. Although I mentioned an icy cavern in terms of imagery, the cavern I was imagining wasn't ginormous or anything like that: more about the size of a large room, the sort of size that could just about accommodate a badminton court.

And I would never have considered it to be a concept album but you know, it just might well be on the grounds of the aforementioned enveloping aural aesthetic.

Y’all should track down the “Vespertine Live At The Royal Opera House” DVD next.

I didn't know about that DVD or even the performance so thanks for the heads up... turns out it's on YouTube :)

EDIT: I just ordered a copy of the DVD as it looks like it's a great performance.

Last edited:
Certainly my favourite Bjork album and one of the sexiest records ever made.

Vulnicura is an interesting contrast as it's about the break up of her relationship.

Always been fond of her. Love to have an afternoon with her in the pub, be intrigued to listen to her jukebox picks.

advertisement

Back