advertisement

Bird feeders and feed

But we had sunflower kernels out, no Goldfinches until the Niger went out!

I am glad to see that nyger seems to have been dropped. Politcal correctness gone to stratospheric heights.
It has been niger since Noah was a lad, possibly before.

Oilseeds are a mixed blessing. They contain a lot of fat but generally have high quality proteins, which is why things like soy expeller (the residue after soy has been pressed or solvent extracted to remove the oil) are in demand for general stock feed. High quality protein is high in essential amino-acids, low quality, the opposite.

For wild birds, far better as a winter feed than at other times.

What about wheatgerm bread? Or any bread broken up?

Bread is a belly-filler for us humans - like rice, pasta, potatoes etc. - bulk and calories. But the calories are in starch, which turdids and sturnids cannot digest, even though starlings in particular will wolf it down.
Wheatgerm is high in low quality protein and fat/oil.

Hello,
I live in a semi rural area close to the sea. The problem I’m having is that I want to attract small birds on to my feeder(s). I used to have a traditional Bird house style station but I am plagued by Magpies and especially Seagulls. The gulls were amazingly persistent and even after I’d blocked up the entrances on all 4 sides they’d launch themselves kamikaze style to force their necks in to get at the seeds.
I then changed to fat balls (quality) and had them hanging against the garage wall. Now its the Magpies which hang on to the wire holders and break up the Fb’s.
I’m loathe to go back to seeds due to the above. No squirrels here thank god.
Has anyone got any suggestions, as the commercial stuff I’ve seen appear outclassed by my marauders..
Hello,
I live in a semi rural area close to the sea. The problem I’m having is that I want to attract small birds on to my feeder(s). I used to have a traditional Bird house style station but I am plagued by Magpies and especially Seagulls. The gulls were amazingly persistent and even after I’d blocked up the entrances on all 4 sides they’d launch themselves kamikaze style to force their necks in to get at the seeds.
I then changed to fat balls (quality) and had them hanging against the garage wall. Now its the Magpies which hang on to the wire holders and break up the Fb’s.
I’m loathe to go back to seeds due to the above. No squirrels here thank god.
Has anyone got any suggestions, as the commercial stuff I’ve seen appear outclassed by my marauders..

Squirrel Buster Plus will sort you out. £120 is pricey but then think how much it will save in feed, plus it should last a lifetime with regular cleaning. I brought mine around 10 years ago, cost £60 back then, well worth it though.

The great thing about these is that any animals of weight including large birds cannot access the feed as the feeding holes close up. Smaller birds can feed happily.

There feed is also very good and the service has always been great

https://www.reallywildbirdfood.co.uk/categories/bird-feeders/squirrel-proof-bird-feeders

I appreciate the suggestion Gingerbeard, I’ll keep an eye out for these. I’m not in the UK but hanging on to a Little Rock off the south coast and they don’t mail to my location.

I appreciate the suggestion Gingerbeard, I’ll keep an eye out for these. I’m not in the UK but hanging on to a Little Rock off the south coast and they don’t mail to my location.
You don’t need to spend that much.
Uncle puncle posted a link to these

https://roamwildproducts.co.uk/prod...d-feeders?variant=35964549824671&currency=GBP

I’ve had one for years and it completely squirrel and large bird proof.
That price is a bargain.
They are over £60 in my local garden centres.

Niger is a strange seed for using as a garden bird food. Sometimes it attracts Goldfinches. Sometimes it attracts Siskins. Many times it doesn’t! Yet they love it. When I was kept British birds (legally) they all adored it.
These days I don’t use specific Niger feeders. I buy sunflower hearts and peanut kibble then mix a few kilos of a high quality conditioning seed which contains all kinds.
I have an abundance of Goldies, Siskins (4 young currently feeding) Tree and House sparrows, chaffies and lots of blue, coal, great and long tailed tits (occasional willow tit) etc. Little mess. Costs a fortune but well worth ever penny. Oh, as I type a Nuthatch has appeared.

Can I just say be careful which fat/suet balls yiu buy. Many are rubbish. Highly recommend “suet to go”. 150 per box. Do various recipes, insects, mealworm and berry. Really go quality.

Can I just say be careful which fat/suet balls yiu buy. Many are rubbish. Highly recommend “suet to go”. 150 per box. Do various recipes, insects, mealworm and berry. Really go quality.

The suet pellets Poundland sells/used to sell were rubbish - the birds would not touch them. On the other hand the meal worm/insect pellets/slabs Wilko sells/ ( now used to sell) seem to be good quality and the birds love them

What about porridge oats? Just been reading they are safe. Blackbirds are supposed to especially enjoy them.

The suet pellets Poundland sells/used to sell were rubbish - the birds would not touch them. On the other hand the meal worm/insect pellets/slabs Wilko sells/ ( now used to sell) seem to be good quality and the birds love them
Interesting this year the birds are eating the Suet to Go insect balls 3 times more than the berry balls. This is from three large feeders holding about 9 balls. I’ve filled one insect only. One berry only and the third is mixed. Insect balls go before berry I’m all cases. Often only eating berry when I’ve not refilled.

Which Conditioning seed do you recommend please?
I buy my conditioning seed from Haithes. I buy peanut kibble and sunflower hearts and mix the three. Get all of the common tits including willow, all of the finches except crossbill and linnet. Have had twite (when there is a storm front!) currently got a number of Brambling. (Flock of 200 only 500m away but only getting a few in the garden) lots of house of House and a few Tree sparrow so it seems to work.

advertisement

Back