advertisement

Biopholia: An environmentally sustainable way to buy music?

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
I posted a link to this in the What Are You Listening To thread but through it may be of interest on it's own.

This label

Biophilia Records | Official Website - Biopholio

is exploring ways to sell music plastic / vinyl that reduces its impact on the environment.There's a lot on the website but a few passages caught my interest:

Why no vinyl?

Poly Vinyl Chloride, better known as PVC, has a long history used in a wide range of building materials from pipes to wall and floor coverings. Durability and economical up front costs are it's primary functional advantages. In terms of sustainability, the PVC controversy is centered primarily around the health related concerns for workers during the manufacturing phase of the products, environmental release of toxins during production, as well as the release of toxics from products when they burn.

PVC is a plastic non grata among environmentalists, because of concerns about dangerous emissions during its production and—if burned—its disposal. (One LP manufacturer the Lantern spoke with talked about experimenting with bioplastic—but the switch to vegetable-based albums isn't likely to happen any time soon.

In addition, an LP is about twice as heavy as a packaged CD, which translates into higher fuel usage for transportation.

and

We understand that the music doesn’t need the physical package to be delivered, but we can give you something that restores and enhances their physical connection to the music. This is designed for environmentally-conscious music fans who are aware of the harmful effects of plastic on the environment, yet feel that a digital download is not enough. With your purchase, you are supporting the future of this music and the artists who create it with the added bonus of receiving a tangible piece of original album artwork that you can cherish for years to come.

Could the idea of really well designed, beautiful and collect-able packaging to go with a high quality download be an alternative to buying CDs or vinyl as we currently do? Would the combination of streaming and a high end physical object appeal? I must admit I quite like the idea of a 12" gatefold sleeve and a streamed product that might be distinct to that available on Qobuz or Spotify.

Thoughts?

Honestly I'm not convinced. I like being able to buy music on Bandcamp and listen to it straight away. Will getting a leaflet in the post a week later add to the experience? I'm not sure.

The one exception I'm aware of is the problem of how to sell downloads alongside physical product - i.e. shops, gig merch tables etc. I've seen people try different approaches and one of the most effective seems to be a cassette with a download code. You still get the experience of buying physical music even if it's in a format you're probably never going to play. Obviously plastic cassettes aren't amazingly eco friendly...

Could the idea of really well designed, beautiful and collect-able packaging to go with a high quality download be an alternative to buying CDs or vinyl as we currently do? Would the combination of streaming and a high end physical object appeal? I must admit I quite like the idea of a 12" gatefold sleeve and a streamed product that might be distinct to that available on Qobuz or Spotify.

Thoughts?

Nope.

All a bit gimmicky. I love the vinyl I have, at least that of it I plan to keep, but I don't need a physical item to go with digital music. Not having physical stuff is so good in so many ways.

advertisement

Back