advertisement

Bim Sherman

andy831

pfm Member
I have always dismissed reggae style music as "not for me" .

That was until I read the Coda`s thread "Quite Music" where Foxwelljsly suggested Bim Sherman. I did a bit of a search on You Tube and google, Listened to a few snippets of tracks, and was fairly impressed with what I heard.

So anybody any suggestions as to where to start with this Music? any recommendations for other artists within the Genre`.

I particularly like Bims laid back style and laid back vocals, no shouting no overly intrusive musical accompaniment, Just sweet music.

Bim Sherman recorded quite a lot of material for Adrian Sherwood's "On-U Sound" label throughout the late 80s/early 90s. Although a lot of the later output on the label was of a kind of Industrial/Proto-Techno style (Tackhead for example), the early output had a distinct reggae/dub influence, Dub Syndicate, Singers and Players, Ghetto Priest, African Head Charge are all worth investigating. Regards, Chris Metcalf.

Andy, I've got one of the On-U Sound CDs - I can lend it to you if you want next time you pop round.

Tony.

I particularly like Bims laid back style and laid back vocals, no shouting no overly intrusive musical accompaniment, Just sweet music.

Andy

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable Reggae scholars here than myself, but I'll attempt to give you a few tips.

Unfortunately, Bim Sherman's 'Miracle' is a unique recording. It stemmed from, IIRC, a series of acoustic demos recorded by Adrian Sherwood, on to which he subsequently arranged the overdubbing of both Talvin Singh's Tabla and the remarkable strings, which were provided by an Indian Orchestra usually employed soundtracking Bollywood movies. The result is a, to the best of my knowledge, unique fusion of the sub-continent and the West Indies. If you like it, buy it. I think it's wonderful, but there's nothing like it that I've heard. I was lucky enough to see him live a couple of times and to say he had charisma would be an understatement.

If your taste is 'no shouting no overly intrusive musical accompaniment, Just sweet music', then I'd suggest you try some laid back Roots Reggae or Lovers Rock. Soul Jazz has re-issued loads of great Reggae from the Studio One label here. The Burning Spear and Sugar Minott sets, in particular, have no shouting, no overly intrusive musical clatter, but plenty of melodious music and reggae bass and some very sweet singing (IMHO).

The only other On-U sound stuff I have is the remixed 'Miracle' (not very good) and some Gary Clail (definitely not 'sweet music'), so I'm probably not best placed to comment on these.

Incidentally, the only other acoustic Reggae recording I've heard isthis and, frankly, it's a bit too hardcore rasta mystic for my tastes.

Simon

Of all the suggestions so far this one is definately on the to buy list. No need to ask what else there is like it now!

Coda Yep me too I was transfixed with the wonderful music the late Mr Sherman produced. Have a look on You Tube for Bim Sherman there are a few interesting snippets. Apparently My Sherman cites Nat King Cole as one of his big influences.

Excellent informative post Foxwelljsly

Tony thanks I would really like that, might try and make a special trip out to pick it up.

Cheers

Andy

Most (all?) of the tracks on Miracle are re-recordings of songs Sherman had recorded before, sometimes several times, and often with different names! Over The Rainbow, had previously appeared as Beyond the Hill , a wonderful 12” if you can find it. Most of his LPs are worth getting, the golden voice is always there, although the backing track will be much straighter (if that’s the right expression) roots reggae. A collection of ‘original versions’ was released post-Miracle: Love Forever: The Classic Jamaican Recordings

Nearest equivalents to Bim would be people like Horace Andy, Bunny Wailer ('Blackheart Man,' a pastoral masterpiece) and Gregory Isaacs. Gregory is a bit hard to recommend as he has a prolific but patchy output. I love More Gregory but perhaps you had to be there at the time.

Quite similar in feel (Acoustic guitar, Bollywood strings and Tablas feature prominently) is some of Nintin Swahney's output. Beyond Skin is the usual place to start.

Sadly, Bim joined Jah in 2000, Obit here

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Andy, I've just dug it out - it's 'Bim Sherman - Crucial Cuts Vol 1' and is on Century, not On-U as I thought. I've also got a CD single called Bewildered which you can try as well.

Tony.

Thanks Tony will try and call over the next few days.

Duncan thanks will take a look at a few of your recommends

Andy

advertisement

Back