advertisement

Billy’s HiFi Lounge Record of the Week

HiFi Lounge

Trade: HiFi Lounge
yq3iIXA.png

Hi Everyone, After spending a lovely Sunday morning revisiting Carol King's remarkable album Tapestry I feel it's only right for me to share my thoughts just in case you were unfamiliar with this beautiful work of art! If you haven’t heard this album, the chances are you’ll be familiar with King’s legacy, having written or co-written a copious number of hits.

Tapestry was released in 1971 and is one of the best-selling albums of all time. This doesn’t surprise me considering the quality of songwriting on show. Usually, there are always one or two tracks on an album that I don’t quite connect with, but Tapestry is left untouched from beginning to end. There are so many stunning songs to pick from including; It’s Too Late, So Far Away, Will You Love Me Tomorrow and Way Over Yonder. Unsurprisingly the list goes on, but if I had to pick a stand-out track, for me it would have to be You’ve Got a Friend.

A timeless classic captured beautifully, delivering a selfless message to anyone in need. The stripped-back arrangement places Carol’s sincere vocals at the forefront, with only a few instruments supporting the song. According to Lou Adler, who produced Tapestry this was done intentionally wanting the whole album to sound open and honest, almost like a demo. You’ve Got a Friend was also recorded and released by another prolific songwriter, James Taylor who allegedly inspired Carol King to write the song after hearing Fire and Rain. James Taylor’s version was recorded simultaneously with Carols and interestingly featured the same players on each. I highly recommend listening to both versions, which manage to connect to the listener in their own inspiring way.

What's your favourite from this wonderful album? Look forward to hearing your thoughts, Billy

I've got a 2016 vinyl pressing.
I'm not impressed by the sound quality.
Are the earlier pressings or digital releases good quality, was it the way it was meant to sound, or is it just me not liking it?

One of the greats - I have an 1971 copy but not a first pressing, it has the newer address of the A&M offices on New Kings Road on the sleeve.

The cat was called Telemachus btw!

advertisement

Back