advertisement

Bill Evans/similar recommendations?

James Evans

Bedroom Bodger
Hello, I'm hoping to mine the wealth of knowledge and info on here...

This week I have been mostly listening to:

You must believe in spring
Undercurrent
The Bill Evans/Tony Bennett album

The first two being particular faves. I'm after recommendations in a similar vein. To give it some perspective, I like Kind of Blue/In a Silent Way. Grant Green's Idle Moments I find a bit cheesy and obvious.

ta in advance

James

I’ve tried quite a few Bill Evans cds ; only these have stayed :
Bill Evans : 'Trio ‘65' ( good tunes - a real requirement for me when listening to BE)
Bill Evans : ‘Solo Sessions vol. 1’ ( for ‘April in Paris’ etc)
Bill Evans : ‘California here l come’ (entertaining -‘driven’ by Philly Joe Jones on drums ;upbeat)
Bill Evans : ‘Portrait in Jazz’ ( if only for the 2 takes of Blue in Green)
Bill Evans : ‘Consecration’ vol.2 (for ‘Days of wine and roses’)

Phil Robson: 'Screenwash' (brilliant cd ;includes the fascinating ‘The red horse on the ocean’)
Jim Hall : 'Concierto' (a must – for the 19 minute Rodrigo piece )
Modern Jazz Quartet : 'Lonely Woman'/The Comedy (their best)
Tommy Flanagan Trio :'Overseas'
Milt Jackson : ‘Jazz n Samba’
Milt Jackson : ‘London Bridge’
Dave McKenna :’ No bass hit’
Chet Baker: 'Broken Wing' (restrained ; atmospheric)

Bobby Hackett ‘Live at the Roosevelt Grill’ (4 vol. mainstream jazz ,of course)

Roy

You probably know these already but FWIW my favourite Evans albums/tracks are:

Sunday at Village Vanguard - "Jade Visions" - is there a better live recording ?

Everybody Digs Bill Evans - "Peace Piece" & "Young & Foolish"

Waltz for Debby - "My Foolish Heart" - Desert Island status for me & "Milestones" just as good as the Miles version.

From Left to Right - " What are you doing the rest of your life ?" - he uses the Rhodes electric on here & this album tends to divide people. Personally I love it.

Brad Mehldau - The Art of the Trio - Vol 2 - "Moon River" - all standards on this & this version is up there with Audrey's.

Keith Jarrett - La Scala - parts of this are sublime.

David Rees - Williams - Hidden Colours - A Jazz/Classical fusion. Could have been a train wreck but is a triumph & gives me the same contemplative vibe I get from Evans.

5164s%2BKFCHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Not to be confused with Bill Evans (sax), of course. You might get a shock if you expect mellow piano jazz and chance across one of his fusiowanky releases... ;)

For jazz piano you have to try some Thelonious Monk, he is the one IMO. There is everything else and then there is Monk.

Tony.

For jazz piano you have to try some Thelonious Monk, he is the one IMO. There is everything else and then there is Monk.

Tony.
So, as a complete newbie to Monk, I bought Live At The Five Spot because it's supposed to be a milestone of jazz piano. Maybe, but all it did was to scare me off of Monk as [soundwise] it's probably the worst jazz recording I have ever heard !

So, as a complete newbie to Monk, I bought Live At The Five Spot because it's supposed to be a milestone of jazz piano. Maybe, but all it did was to scare me off of Monk as [soundwise] it's probably the worst jazz recording I have ever heard !

Monk's early stuff can be a little low-fi from a recording perspective, but there is an edge to his playing that is amazing and I find myself able to listen through the technical limitations as he's all about timing / phrasing anyway. If you want well recorded stereo Monk go for the 60s Columbia stuff, Criss Cross, Straight No Chaser, It's Monk Time etc, but many of the Prestige monos are really nice too and whilst the recording is a little 'historic' the two volume Blue Note Genius Of Modern Music albums contain fabulous material. Honestly he is the man.

Tony.

PS Monk, Monk, Monk (including the Monk Dance)

Take it back and swap it for Live at the It Club. It's a fine recording and a great set.

advertisement

Back