advertisement

Bike drivetrain cleaning

You can buy 5 litres of degreaser for about a tenner which, even used neat, will last for years.
Yes, but which. I used a citrus based one by Pedros in the US. Looking for something similar to buy in the UK. I have all the well used components in a box and want to get them squeaky clean before I install them. Then a lube to make them not squeak.

I use engine oil on my three bikes and have done for years. I just lube and wipe the chain after a few rides and that’s that. As long as you don’t use too much it works fine.

Yes, but which. I used a citrus based one by Pedros in the US. Looking for something similar to buy in the UK. I have all the well used components in a box and want to get them squeaky clean before I install them. Then a lube to make them not squeak.
I’m coming to the end of 5 litres of something called Grime-X. I use it neat with a plastic sprayer and it’s been bloody great. It’s gone up to £15 since I last bought some about 4 years ago.

The prospect of the mess made by using petrol or WD40 to clean a drivetrain doesn’t bear thinking about.

There's no mess, you wash them all off the bike in sealed containers, then just filter the residue and let the dirt settle out.
I don't bother filtering it, I just put it in a jam jar and decant it later. To be honest there's so little of it that the tablespoon left over after it's been brushed over the moving parts several times can go in the bin.

Dan, I have several litres of traffic film remover that you make up at 10% and spray on before wet brushing or sponging . Given that I wash the bikes when the components no longer move and the car when I can no longer see out, I'll have it until I die. You're welcome to give it a whirl, I used some this weekend and it was great.

I use this stuff in a chain cleaning device:
Dynamic Chain Cleaner

It gets the chains really clean, but I only use it a couple of times per year, or when my commuter has had an extra dose of salt.

Usually my chains stay pretty clean using a liquid parafin wax type lube.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Muck-off and similar cause more damage than they fix. They can dull paintwork and must never get anywhere near bearings!

The key to keeping chains clean is not to over-lube them. I use Finish Line wet lube on a all 3 bikes, 60ml lasts about 2 years. (Caveat: the very fine dust in the Peak district seemed to stick to this like the proverbial - but that was on the freak hot/dry year when Mam Tor looked like it was in Spain).

Ride until the chain looks shiny and dry on the outside. As long as it's not squeaking it's fine, there's lube on the inside of the rollers - where it needs to be. I wash the drivetrain on the bike with the same stuff as I wash the bike, a dilute solution of carwash (wax free). The drivetrain takes <2 mins of effort.

I don't bother filtering it, I just put it in a jam jar and decant it later. To be honest there's so little of it that the tablespoon left over after it's been brushed over the moving parts several times can go in the bin.
Yes that's what I do. The crap will settle out at the bottom and then you just decant the clear solvent into a second jam jar.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back