advertisement

Big Tannoys and Isobariks by way of ELS57's

ian r

401's Nakman
merry inclusive solstitial christmass
sitting here with my christmass present to myself of a Lockwood recone on a 12 inch 1955 tannoy that has no tweeter or therefore crossover

Sticking a digital signal presently via chrome bumper, clear... jeez

my valves are waiting.... but Im hoping to hear these with the almost certainly intended QuadII before my beefier Williamson 5/20's

however I owned both very early and very late Isobariks and still own esl's

These ancient tannoys are astounding... and i just love live and older simpler recordings as they are too revealing of poor production

my view is that loud Isobariks gave me the feeling of taking in the entire sound or presence of the stage and arena and endless bass and the acoustic of the whole deal... its live recordings im referring to

These tannoys just concentrate on the music and performance ... putting me in the front row or on the mixer.... its like nothing I ever heard. JBL's are good for live but are pushy and maybe brash.... these just stick you in front of the band ...,the esl's let the music go behind and sideways ... the briks shove it everywhere in exciting dollops ...these are what the band listen to playback on....Gereat

and at risk of repeating myself these are Lonnie Donegans old home studio monitors... when he was releasing 78 's ...so no need for a tweeter...However ultra clean rumble free digital input somehow by being so clean compared to what these had to cope with back when somehow seems to compensate for a presumed hf rolloff,

that the monstrous thick paper cones just sing, they are like baffless speakers sort of but loud

and no drink has been taken yet

the recording that clarified this for me after a week of tweaking and is on now is
Quicksilver Messager Service
playing 'Who do you Love'
which has to be one of the best live recordings from the 60's by a long way

just sayin more amazin than briks and subtly revealing in a utterly non esl57 way, 1955 big tannoys

Anyone with an affordable QuadII or wants to hear a kosher 50's studio set up in southern Scotland

cheers
peace on earth goodwill to all beings

Some rough and ready pics from when they arrived although nothings changed visually only the recone

http://www.hilberink.nl/tannoy/flyer/tannoydcflyer1957.pdf

I think this is the direct radiator referred to in the above ….unless its the Wooofer unit that can be a mid which they refer too as well, the colour would look a better match ..The magnet is NHS green

I can't find the 50's pamphlet of studio pictures I have somewhere with 12/L featured…maybe a drawing of a typical install <!> as well with the speakers a yard in the air on table legs!

However its not a Lancaster cab as they port frontwards not down… perhaps its an industrial pro box…anyone have any ideas

Hey Ian R. I hope you are still into the groovy mystics?
Also one of my favourite sounds is Cipollina on that vinyl recording from Happy Trails! Something right about old Tannoy. Crap Hi Fi...brilliant music!

hello lexi
yes tis I ... older and sadly still finding love a harsh mistress!

Many deaths and losses have been my lot this last few years.

Someone said mercury was retrograde recently and thats why i was ratty and couldnt communicate well. I stopped looking at offtopic in the interests of my wellbeing...

In sympathy with bad communication the other speaker not touched by Lockwoods now seems kaput... so back a fortnight and now the other one off to Lockwoods....

i tried an AAA battery on the terminals but zip... i have a multimeter but dont know what to do with it other than an audible continuity test?

i know the signal is getting to the driver as i plugged another speaker in and it was fine

so for my recabbing and tweeter addition exploits will go on hold.

i hope you are well, anyone else still here

Still a few of the guys around. I am well and thanks for asking. Cooky might look in and give you a clue on the drivers. He is Tannerd on here :D
My trades are the rougher stuff and not much with leccy. Maybe a capacitor or the voice coil winding or gap.Great thing with Tannoy is, they can be rebuilt.
ATB

Apologies for double post, i got this older thread muddled with the new one.. the older photos from their arrival are in this thread to any interested
The one on the right is just back from Lockwoods ...safe and warm. Both have now been done in the last 6 months!

advertisement

Back