advertisement

Big Tannoys - amp compatibility

mjw

pfm Member
They’re an itch I’ve longed to scratch but could never afford new, so unable to home audition, and certainly couldn’t afford to change anything else. I often read that they’re paired with valves but is that just tradition or a genuine match made in heaven? I have a Vitus integrated (the RI100 - 300W class A/B) which sounds great in its current context but would that be a howler paired with 15” Tannoys?
What do the team think?

I’ve got similar anxiety with Avondale mono’s, the hoarder in me collected 12” golds, 10” Stirling TW and System 12.

The system 12 were best with my amps, and I’m reluctant to buy ( valve) amps just to try.
Currently running Stirlings with a Nait 2. I borrowed Quad 303 and was unimpressed, top and bottom softened which wasn’t to my taste.

If there’s advice in there, I guess it would be to look for newer models more suited to high power?

Short answer - pre HPDs could comfortably handle the power output from any real world valve amp'. Get over-enthusiastic with a SS and they die.

To my mind the various generations of Tannoys sound best partnered with the technology of their era, so no simple answer here. Think of Monitor Golds as the transition point; earlier than that was valve era, later than that solid state era. You will likely find modern highly damped solid state sounds over-dry, lean and just sterile with earlier Tannoys. No right answers, but that is certainly my findings over the past 13 years or so I’ve owned 15” Golds. For me they give their best with a good push-pull valve amp or a humble 303. I’ve tried a lot of stuff and that’s certainly where I’ve ended up.

Legacy Ardens are DMT-era drivers, so I’d expect them to be rather more suited to modern solid state.

From what I've read/heard Tannoys can sound fantastic with higher powered ss amps, better at controlling the large driver so give them a go with your Vitus.

The last day or so, I’ve been preparing my Lancasters for a sale that I now think won’t happen. To do this, I’ve been noodling around with the kit I have on hand.

I have been largely running my MG15s through an old solid state Aiwa P30/C30 mini system. It has more than enough to drive these sensitive speakers cleanly and clearly at neighbour-friendly volumes.

For contrast I also tried my old Adcom GFA-555 with a 70s Japanese solid state preamp. There have been no obvious power-related issues, but the latter amp/preamp, although obviously more authoritative than the Aiwas, did not offer any very obvious improvement on my old and allegedly staid Quad SS 44/405.2 combo in the bass department, which was what I was expecting.

I’ve also tried them through a recently acquired Quad 99 power amp with a Lexicon CP-2 sound processor performing preamp duties (a superb basic line level preamp HiFi bargain story for another day). With this modern kit, the Tannoys presented a warmer sound than I had heard with more modern speakers, and my wife commented that voice on Radio 4 through BBC Sounds sounded as natural as she’d ever heard it (and that was with a 3.5 mm jack out of an iPad rather than through a fancy DAC).

In all cases, there was enough oomph in reserve to get some good clear bass from the speakers. The limiting factor, I suspect, is the Lancaster cabinets and fifty year old crossovers, rather than the amplification.

I have a Radford and a MF NuVista 300 and they both sound great with 12" HPDs. The NV300 much better bass and dynamics, but the radford has a midrange magic.

if i had to keep one i would probably go for the NV300.

I'd give it a go first.

They’re an itch I’ve longed to scratch but could never afford new, so unable to home audition, and certainly couldn’t afford to change anything else. I often read that they’re paired with valves but is that just tradition or a genuine match made in heaven? I have a Vitus integrated (the RI100 - 300W class A/B) which sounds great in its current context but would that be a howler paired with 15” Tannoys?
What do the team think?

Reckon that may well work.....

If valves, just make sure the hum and noise levels are low enough, as big Tannoys are sensitive, so show up any higher levels of hum, in particular.

What do the team think?

Valves with Tannoys are a glorious match made in heaven ! I would recommend auditioning Prima Lunas, integrated,or monoblocks. Ah'm biased, as I have a pair of PL EVO 400s (monoblocks) one ex-dem and the other in a sale, to replace my Dialogue 6 monoblocks. Selling the Dialogue 6s will ease the pain of the Evos. Used Prima Lunas are well-priced just now as many PL owners are upgrading to EVOs. Ah have a pair of Tannoy Ardens (1976) second hand - immaculate. Took a lot of searching but finally got a great pair. Paid for with redundancy/retirement money. Otherwise ah would not have them. Gonna have them converted tae a coffin. Only way tae separate me from them. :cool:

I have newer turnberry 10" and I've used them with a Quad 909, 50w EAR 8L6, and 32w 861 all with great results. The cheap 909 into them was superb tbh, could have quite easily lived with that. I've always heard the newer tannoys like a lot of juice but with 32w they are just fine also.

Thanks for the wise counsel so far. To reiterate, I won’t be swapping out the Vitus (but only because I couldn’t afford to) so if the consensus was that valves are a must then I’d rather stay with the status quo. It sounds as if the Legacy Ardens don’t mind solid state though but any more advice always welcome.
Crucially the chance of a home demo is vanishingly remote because I could only consider (afford) used.
Thanks again for contributions so far.

It's worth mentioning that amplification is almost certainly going to be less influential than room physics and layout, and how the speakers are coupled - or not - to said room.

I've spent the last two years thinking my Eaton Legacy speakers were too big for my living room but I now think I just didn't have them set up right i.e. they can and do work in my living room: all I had to do was set them up as they are now with regards to placement and what sort of structure and material they rest upon. Suffice to say, this stuff trumps amplification in terms of performance.

To be specific, I’m wavering on a pair of used Legacy Ardens.
Used approx 50 amps on the legacy eaton tannoys .they seem to thrive on everything !! Thrax enyo 70 watt valve was stunning , a21se great , currently using bel canto eix pre with f5 monos which is scintillating and very live without fatigue

The vitus will be awesome .i bellieve i used a msb class ab 200 watt ss with them to good effect

In brum if you want a listen

What do the team think?
Just past the 3 year mark with a pair of Legacy Arden here. First two power amps were Sugden A21aP and Quad 405-2, both with a passive pre. Both good but different. Changed to an active (valve) pre, and from memory, that switched which power I preferred, but can no longer remember which (there will be a thread on here from back then I think). Ran a pair of Tron SS monos for a while, then a single power again. Eventually ended with valve pre/SET power and feel no need to take it any further; equally the previous SS powers had them sounding very good as well.

Used approx 50 amps on the legacy eaton tannoys .they seem to thrive on everything !!

I don't know much about Tannoys but I've heard a few Fyne speakers, which are direct descendants and seem to share a lot of the Tannoy DNA. They seem inherently forgiving speakers and work ok with anything. Fyne speakers are designed using Rega amps and valve amps and the guy who designs them uses valves at home. My son in using Meridian solid state and is happy with it. They just seem to work and what sort of kit you use is just down to taste.

advertisement

Back