advertisement

Big changes in your lifetime?

Not meant as a derogatory comment, just that in hospitals they don't have duvets (at least not when I was last in), so still have to do it the old fashioned way with sheets and blankets. Sorry if I caused any (unintentional) offence!

No offence, just couldn't make out the meaning.
For information: I worked on wards with duvets in use and the old-fashioned sheets and bedspreads, counterpanes etc. If I remember correctly, the duvets were used on psychiatric wards. Many of the long-stay units I worked on encouraged people to bring their own pillows/duvets in. In Russia I believe there is no choice - bring your own sheets (and food) in.
I prefer flat bedsheets, fitted sheets are rubbish, I can never get them tight enough. Jeez, I must have made up thousands of beds. Pillowcase opening away from the door/entrance of course! (old nurse regime)

“Fitted bloody sheets!
I’ve blown my nose on it twice.”
Victor Meldrew in One Foot in The Grave

Summed them up perfectly for me.

there is a lot more to meaningful existence than hobbling on beyond the age of 65. you are essentially making a consumerist argument. "more" is not a philosophy of life.

What a ridiculous response.
Getting rid of childhood scourges like polio, diphtheria and TB were not consumerist choices.
Making the working environment health so that it doesn’t lead to an early death is not a consumerist argument.
Keeping more children alive and healthy certainly is a philosophy of life.

I bet schools today do not have shelves of potassium metal in oil, sodium in oil, phosphorus, I kid you not, in oil which were in glass jars without any type of locking mechanism all stored at schoolchild hand height, neither will they have an open masak alloy furnace that the school idiot was persuaded to drop magnesium wire into, luckily he wasn’t persuaded to do anything with the phosphorus.

A perfect picture of Burnage Grammar School circa 1963-68.

I fondly remember a time when Alf Garnet was a subject of comic derision and not a role model... ah the good old pre Brexit days...

there is a lot more to meaningful existence than hobbling on beyond the age of 65. you are essentially making a consumerist argument. "more" is not a philosophy of life.

My father and mother both lost three siblings in childhood/early teens to what are now easily preventable diseases, so it's not just about hobbling on beyond 65 (though I hope to manage a few more years).

As for changes in my lifetime: more fat kids. There was one fat lad in my class in primary school, and two in my class in secondary school (none of them was me). I blame Gregg's meself.

Keeping more children alive and healthy certainly is a philosophy of life.

if so, then it's a really banal one -- the sort of thing a beauty pageant contestant would declare as a life goal, alongside one day owning her own nail salon.

advertisement

Back