1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Album Bake Off #2: The Original Soundtrack Vs Crime of the Century

Discussion in 'music' started by windhoek, Apr 21, 2019.

?

Which is the better album?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2019.
  1. The Original Soundtrack

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Crime of the Century

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

The second bake-off in this mini-series that's running over the holiday weekend and this time it's really, really tough to say which is the better album: The Original Soundtrack by 10cc or Crime of the Century by Supertramp - albums that were made by two of England's finest songwriting artisan bands of the '70s.

Cast your vote now so we can finally put this one to bed. Votes close after 24 hours.

Next up, is Dummy Vs Protection - this time it's downtempo in '94!

2. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I like them both. Still play them frequently. I suppose I have more versions of Crime... But I have more 10cc albums overall.

3. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

Dead heat for me. Listen to them both in equal measures.

4. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Crime of the Century all day long. Just a stone dead classic.

5. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Neither, can't stand Supertramp and 10cc's best was Sheet Music.

6. Jimbobbyron

Jimbobbyron pfm Member

One of my earliest music memories is Crime of the century. My uncle lived with us for a few years when I was about 5. He always played great music. Unlike my mum who was into slade and bay city rollers.
    He got me interested in music at a fairly early age. And he is the person who introduced me to my absolute favourite band of all time Rush. I love that uncle to bits

moomaloo likes this.
  7. RoryL

RoryL Member

Lucky enough to hear both of these performed live in Edinburgh's Usher Hall, 1974, very different types of performance but each 100% rock & roll. I'll take 10cc for stage charisma and Supertramp for the long term rock 'n roll integrity, referring to the "Crime" era. I felt ST got rather into themselves later on with the ridiculous cartoon falsettos and the like, but they could always pen a great song. The ST bass on "School" drilling through my chair and shaking the foundations of the building has remained with me to this day. Likewise Eric Stewart who amazed by proving to be a mean bottleneck virtuoso. I still enjoy 10cc but feel they bettered Soundtrack a few times.

8. RoryL

RoryL Member

May have been 75? that's got me wondering now, anyway I was definitely at school myself at the time.