• The Original Soundtrack

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Crime of the Century

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
The second bake-off in this mini-series that's running over the holiday weekend and this time it's really, really tough to say which is the better album: The Original Soundtrack by 10cc or Crime of the Century by Supertramp - albums that were made by two of England's finest songwriting artisan bands of the '70s.

Cast your vote now so we can finally put this one to bed. Votes close after 24 hours.

Next up, is Dummy Vs Protection - this time it's downtempo in '94!

I like them both. Still play them frequently. I suppose I have more versions of Crime... But I have more 10cc albums overall.

One of my earliest music memories is Crime of the century. My uncle lived with us for a few years when I was about 5. He always played great music. Unlike my mum who was into slade and bay city rollers.
He got me interested in music at a fairly early age. And he is the person who introduced me to my absolute favourite band of all time Rush. I love that uncle to bits

Lucky enough to hear both of these performed live in Edinburgh's Usher Hall, 1974, very different types of performance but each 100% rock & roll. I'll take 10cc for stage charisma and Supertramp for the long term rock 'n roll integrity, referring to the "Crime" era. I felt ST got rather into themselves later on with the ridiculous cartoon falsettos and the like, but they could always pen a great song. The ST bass on "School" drilling through my chair and shaking the foundations of the building has remained with me to this day. Likewise Eric Stewart who amazed by proving to be a mean bottleneck virtuoso. I still enjoy 10cc but feel they bettered Soundtrack a few times.

May have been 75? that's got me wondering now, anyway I was definitely at school myself at the time.

advertisement

Back