advertisement

Bias weight for SME3009 and Shure V15 111

nirvanah

pfm Member
Hi all, i am looking for a bias weight/s to set a SME3009 with a Shure V15 III cartridge. I intend putting a sas stylus on it at some point, what do i need? The only reference i can see says 2g,
Can anyone help?
Many thanks Ian.

I remember the advertising for the V15 III, and it was sold as a 1 gm tracker.I certainly used mine at lower than 2gm on a 3009.I'm looking at my 'Era III begins' leaflet which came in the carton together with the faux wood carved box and it claims that it can be used in certain arms at three quarters of a gram. The leaflet claims tracking force of 3/4- 1 1/4 gram. Have you got the 'Shure audio obstacle course' disc which you could send for after the purchase of the cartridge?

V15.jpg

Whether the V15III can track at 0.75gm is beside the point. Cartridges should always be tracked towards the top end of their permitted weight range as that ensures the best tracking performance. It's not playing weight that causes excessive record wear, but mistracking. By tracking even a V15III at 0.75gms, the tracking preformance is well below what it can do at 1.25gm, and that's what will cause damage to LPs where there are high levels of modulation.

I track my V15III at 1.2gm, wouldn't dream of going below 1gm under any circumstances.

S.

Sorry Ian, If only I would learn to read the question. I hope that you did not interpret my post as a recommendation to try to track at .75gm, I was just attempting (and failing,it would seem) to put the cartridge in its historical perspective.At the time it was considered that minimum tracking force was good, when as S above points out the more sensible option is at the supposed top of its range.The grooves on the bias adjustment lever are calibrated from .25gm - 1.5gm, so I don't know how you would get up to 2gm. 1.25 gm is right.

No apology needed soverton and many thanks for the link, i don't have a obstacle course disk what does this do? Sergeaukland thanks for your knowledge too.
The weights i have seen look like they are in multiples of whole grams, how do i arrive at 1.25g?
Cheers Ian

Aaah, Looks at the confusion he has caused,reads and thinks.Do you have these pages?

3009B.jpg

3009A.jpg

These are from my SII improved instructions.And show how to adjust the bias on that arm.Are you looking for a replacement weight that hangs on the end of the thread on fig. 135? In which case it depends on the model.

http://www.analogue-classics.com/html/sme_3009___3012.html

These are always parts on e-bay.
The Audio obstacle course was an LP which allowed you to test the 'trackability' of your new V15III.
Regards

If the arm is an earlier Series II the first notch is half gram and each following notch is also half a gram, e.g. notch 3 for 1.5g. SME still sell bias weights should one be needed, in fact I think it's the same item as the one on the current M2.

The arm is the series II improved, in my manual it says the following:-

BIAS ADJUSTMENT

1 Fit the eye of the bias guide under the base clamp nut nearest to the turntable
2 thread the nylon loop through the guide pulley housing and pass the loop over the bias lever
3 Place the nylon loop in the groove corresponding to the tracking force being used.

All of this i understand but the supplied weight did not come with the arm, if it was a 1g weight and the bias weight was 1.5g would i put the 1g weight on the first notch to equal 1.5g? If i were to put a 2g weight on the pulley would this be too much? And lastly if a 1g weight is correct do i then put the string on the third notch to equal 1.5g?

I suppose an easier question is what size weight in grams is supplied with a 3009 improved?

Many thanks,
Ian.

Sorry, I don't have a scale which is sufficiently accurate to weigh my S2 bias weight.You need to use the right weight and I think it will be 3 gm. As Tony has said, SME still sell them, here's the proof - http://www.sme.ltd.uk/content/Spare-parts--Accessories-1310.shtml
- now that's what I call customer service - I can see that you are some distance from them, but you could always send them an e-mail to be sure. There is an SME distributor in NSW.
Regards.

Great link soverton i can see the parts and i have sent them an e-mail. I will let you know how i go.
Many thanks. Ian.

Wow, how is that for service a reply from Elaine Wratten at SME, the part i need is 1915 and costs 26.50 GBP which is cheaper than the last weight i saw on the flea that went for over 33 euros plus ridiculous postage charges.
Part ordered and many thanks. Ian.

advertisement

Back