advertisement

Bi-wiring / bi-amping A&R A60 : help please

Mistrale

Formerly known as A60hacker
This has changed direction - please see my post 31/12. The original was :

My pristine 1984 A60 is doing very nicely with single runs of well run-in Naim A4 cable to the speakers (where else). I don't want to touch the amp's innards (yet), but I would like to bi-wire.

Does anyone know of either a cable which would work well for the tweeters, with the A4 serving the bass/mids, or a cable which, used for both functions, would surpass that combination altogether ? Ideally such a cable would be < £10 per metre :eek:. IIRC LF signals travel 'inside' a conductor, while HF signals travel on the surface, so A4 should suit LF, but HF might prefer a lot of thin strands ?

Presumably the power amp section of another A60, or an SA60, could be fed and controlled by the pre-amp section of this A60, given suitable pre-out / power-in mods as per A60 A/P ? IIUC one power amp should drive the tweeters, and the other power amp should drive the bass/mids.

Anyone have a faulty / tatty A60 / SA60 going cheap ?

Both ideas are a waste of time and money. Forget it.
If your speakers need more power buy a more powerful amp. If they are bi-wire styleee use F connectors.

Thanks for your comments. I have to say that's not what I'm reading about bi-wiring all over the audio sites, and the rationale makes sense to me (as does that of star earthing). OK, there are caveats, but most people say it's worthwhile. See http://www.reviewcentre.com/vt3054_start0_orderasc.html for reasoning.

One could argue that it's a way of selling more cable, but it's not only cable manufacturers who plug it (pun intended :).

My speakers don't need more power, but what will F connectors (as in satellite TV aerial downleads ?) do for me ?

F connectors are 2 speaker plugs on the speaker end. They look like an 'F' in profile. It saves using jumper leads for bi-wired speakers.

If you can get a mono signal out of your amp, spend an evening with one speaker, try it with one, then both channels, cheap way to try bi-amping?

Thanks, canine submarine. Do you mean bi-wirable speakers ? Otherwise I don't understand - call me fick if you like !

I did the unthinkable and wired my tweeters with some 2-core mains flex (bigger than bell-wire :) that I found in the garage, using the Naim A4 for the bass/mids. Result : cleaner, faster sound, more detail and tonal colour. Shouldn't happen, but it did, and my Other Half thought so too. She is experienced in audio and not afraid to say 'it's worse' if she thinks so.

Having gathered from some forum that N... cable is not great at sound-staging, which confirmed my suspicions, I'm now tempted to try some more mains flex for the bass/mids before I invest in more purpose-made cable !

Hope this interests someone who's wondering about bi-wiring or -amping. We now believe in both.

advertisement

Back