advertisement

bi-amping no longer sounds good round here ...

spxy

pfm Member
Ok so I participated in a few threads about bi-amping where I reported positive results in my system.

They still stand, I went back and fore several times and always preferred it...

However I got a chance to rearrange my listening room, which currently is in a large attic.

Previously my speakers had been placed so they roof was behind them.
The ceiling slopped upward and then downward again toward my chair ( which was a good 4-5 metres from the speakers.

The sound was always just ok in that room, I knew from previous experience wasn't getting the best.

Bi-amping added dynamics and separation.

However I changed the layout so the speaker now fire across the shorter length of the room and now have a solid wall behind and no sloppy ceiling.

The sound changed and improved dramatically, every thing became more dynamic and solid sounding and there is a clear acoustic on everything I played, good recordings are there in the room.

At this point I try bi-amping again....it sounded awful, it blurred and slowed everything down, yes it is slightly fuller but is actually stressful to listen too.

Just goes to show acoustics are king when it comes to hifi...

I suspect the acoustic from the slopping ceilings where the root of my problems and where masking the true sound of the system...

I was using one amp per speaker....
Right, I am bi-amping the same way which isn't the preferred way by some but I found the other way didn't suit my setup but things changed dramatically when using left and right.:)

advertisement

Back