advertisement

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones.

PhilofCas

pfm Member
Just got a pair of these, I’m so impressed!

Deary me, I’m finding it difficult to pick fault with their sound, any foibles in how they sound is orders of magnitude lower than anything a box speaker/room adds (I know, not rocket science).

I want some speakers to sound like these, it’s then game over, finished. In my mind, only way of achieving this is either some Quad(?) electrostatics or a system with fancy DSP/room trickery.

(Headphones were £109, in case you’re wondering)

It’s a great question. I’ve got B&W P7 (£300 new, then dropped a bit, I paid about £105 second hand IIRC) and they’re perfectly balanced to my ears. There’ll be a logical ratio of speakers £ to headphones, guessing 4x or 5x or something.

It’s a great question. I’ve got B&W P7 (£300 new, then dropped a bit, I paid about £105 second hand IIRC) and they’re perfectly balanced to my ears. There’ll be a logical ratio of speakers £ to headphones, guessing 4x or 5x or something.

I’d say potentially the ratio is much higher?

The transparency is on another level, done without any harshness or emphasis. Tracks I’ve been playing for years sound as though they are different recordings, the detail and clarity is amazing.

Sorry full of uncharacteristic Christmas optimism. 10x it is then. TBH it’s a different experience through headphones, less scale but more connected to the vocals. If there are speakers that do that my wife knows that they’re too expensive!!

My daughter and eldest son have TD150s. While they're good for monitoring, which is what they were bought for, I find other headphones far more entertaining to listen to.

'Im indoors is on his second pair of DT770s (used largely for home studio work); and I think they're great for the money - even handed, and very comfortable for long periods. I use the DT770M's for monitoring and when out making field recordings. They don't sound as good, but their isolation is a lot better.

About 10 yrs ago I bought DT770 80ohm to replace some old Sennheiser HD280s. I demo'd Sennheiser 280s, 380s and some Shure closed back headphones costing a similar amount and the two things that jumped out with the DT770s was that they didn't sound like closed back headphones (which often have a sort of hollow sound to them), and that the sound was less "in your head" than the others. The DT770s sounded much more like listening to good speakers in a good room. I still use them regularly and they're on their second set of earpads. Great headphones, especially for the money.

I use these for mixing and monitoring when doing music programming and practice. I've had them years, and they are on their 2nd set of covers. I purchased a pair of Grado GS1000's a while back(pre-loved) as a 2nd set - the Beyers don't sound lacking compared to the Grado's - just different. I also have a pair of 'original' Beyer DT100's. I use those for vocalists to track with.

Last edited:
About 10 yrs ago I bought DT770 80ohm to replace some old Sennheiser HD280s. I demo'd Sennheiser 280s, 380s and some Shure closed back headphones costing a similar amount and the two things that jumped out with the DT770s was that they didn't sound like closed back headphones (which often have a sort of hollow sound to them), and that the sound was less "in your head" than the others. The DT770s sounded much more like listening to good speakers in a good room. I still use them regularly and they're on their second set of earpads. Great headphones, especially for the money.

I’d agree regarding the closed back aspect, I’m certainly hearing lots of out of head sounds, they do this very well.

Having said that, my son has some DT1990 pro’s (open backed), he tried my ‘770’s when I got them the other day and said basically, the only immediate apparent difference is the closed/open nature of both. He rated the 770’s very highly.

I’m like a stuck record, but I really think they are excellent.

All the best.

PS - I also use UE5's as custom fit in-ear monitors. Lots of benefits to using these, but they are not cheap.

Yeah, they're a great set of headphones. I've been using a pair (80 ohm) for a year or so now and no complaints. I listen to mine from a PC so I think a dedicated headphone amp might be next on my shopping list.

Yeah, they're a great set of headphones. I've been using a pair (80 ohm) for a year or so now and no complaints. I listen to mine from a PC so I think a dedicated headphone amp might be next on my shopping list.

I’ve tried mine briefly on my Beresford DAC/amp and they sounded top notch, but I’m getting very good results from my iPad, albeit slightly restricted on the volume, though this is no bad thing, as it’s acting as a limiter, I find myself trying to go louder and louder, which is obviously not recommended.

Did you have the moulds done?

Sorry Andrew, mine was just a general statement, it wasn’t specific to any in particular.

I’d imagine I’d stand a chance if I’d tried the custom fit route, I know lads have done this at work (for ear defenders, same principle) and they say the difference is huge with regards comfort.

Not to be a party-pooper, especially at Xmas, but I'm rather surprised at the DT770 receiving such unanimous praise, particularly the comments of it being 'even-handed'. Even when cutting some slack for being a closed-backed design (It's generally more difficult to tune a closed-back for a linear response, especially from the lower midrange downwards), the 770 has some pretty substantial unevenness going on throughout the audible spectrum (lumpy bass, dipped upper mids, and the famous Beyer-accentuated top-end).

I've been looking for a decent pair of closed-back headphones for E-Drums practice and had considered the 770 but I don't think I could tolerate that extreme a tuning. (I have a pair of DT880 that I really like apart from their hotness around 8kHz-12kHz, but they are open-backs so don't isolate). I'm currently using Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 which are very good for the money but aren't comfortable to wear).

Now if only someone could manufacture a closed-back version of the HD600 without messing up the tuning....

Not to be a party-pooper, especially at Xmas, but I'm rather surprised at the DT770 receiving such unanimous praise, particularly the comments of it being 'even-handed'. Even when cutting some slack for being a closed-backed design (It's generally more difficult to tune a closed-back for a linear response, especially from the lower midrange downwards), the 770 has some pretty substantial unevenness going on throughout the audible spectrum (lumpy bass, dipped upper mids, and the famous Beyer-accentuated top-end).

I've been looking for a decent pair of closed-back headphones for E-Drums practice and had considered the 770 but I don't think I could tolerate that extreme a tuning. (I have a pair of DT880 that I really like apart from their hotness around 8kHz-12kHz, but they are open-backs so don't isolate). I'm currently using Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 which are very good for the money but aren't comfortable to wear).

Now if only someone could manufacture a closed-back version of the HD600 without messing up the tuning....

Don’t worry about being a party pooper, it’s only a pair of headphones, more important things to worry about.

All I know is they give me great pleasure, I’m not concerned if a FR/graph says I shouldn’t.

I came to choose these based on being closed back (mainly listen in living room with TV on), their build quality, that they’re 80ohm and also their value for money. My son really tried to get me to buy some Sennheiser HD600/660s and no doubt I’d have loved them, but they wouldn’t have fit the isolation and ease of drive requirements.

All the best.

advertisement

Back