advertisement

Beyer dilemma.

2N3055

pfm Member
Had some old DT330 for many years up until recently (fell to bits). Been looking for replacements and like the Beyer sound. Would like the versatility of using on laptop etc as well as through the h/p output on a Leema amp.

So I've narrowed it down to 2 models, the DT990 pro 80 ohm, and DT900 pro X which is 48ohm, both of which should be fine application wise. I'm not able to audition these so I was wondering if anyone has experience of the different sonic qualities of these 2. I'm not bothered about the build differences or detachable cable, just the sound.

The only Beyer model I've used that was remotely neutral was the DT250 closed back. Typically used on set by film production crews as a live monitor.

All of the domestic models are searingly bright in my experience, especially the 990. Which is a shame as build and comfort are excellent for the money. Only buy if you enjoy a toppy, very brightly lit presentation.

Have to agree with Robert on the 990. I demoed them a few years ago, but far too bright for my delicate lugholes.

Then again, I use Sennheiser HD600s which I often hear described as "dull".

Maybe comparing them to domestic hifi will make them sound bright. My experience is most domestic hifi does not convey the harsh in ya face nature of live music. These are universally used in studios. I like the Beyer sound signature. I am simply trying to find out which Beyer I should get.

Did you actively rule out the DT880s as I really like my pairs.
I don't know them or what they are like. I'm leaning more towards the DT900 pro x than the aforementioned brace. Do you know how the DT880s would compare to the 900s?

I'm afraid not the only ones I've tried are the 880s and the T1s. If you like a brighter signature the 9xx might suit you better anyway.

DT770 are definitely not bright imo, DT880 are great and lovely, brighter, but still not bright, imo again.

Those are the only Beyer over ears I tried /and have, 80 and 32 ohms respectively.

Been reading many reviews on the DT900 pro X. Seems the consensus is that the DT900 pro X has a similar sound signature of the DT880, with a slightly softer treble than the DT990. They say it's an improvement on the DT880.

I've a nice condition pair of DT990 250ohm I'd be happy to loan you.
If you'd like to keep them I'm sure we can negotiate a suitable price!

BTW, I don't find them at all bright. But they do convey the light and life of the music rather well imo.

I had a pair of DT900 Pro X and found them rather bland.

My experience is most domestic hifi does not convey the harsh in ya face nature of live music.

That depends on how you want to define 'Live' music. If you mean amplified live music, I'd probably agree with you, but genuine live music is a different kettle of fish.

(I'm off now to don my tin hat) :)

That depends on how you want to define 'Live' music. If you mean amplified live music, I'd probably agree with you, but genuine live music is a different kettle of fish.

(I'm off now to don my tin hat) :)
No problem. I was being a little provocative. Couldn't help it.

I've a nice condition pair of DT990 250ohm I'd be happy to loan you.
If you'd like to keep them I'm sure we can negotiate a suitable price!

BTW, I don't find them at all bright. But they do convey the light and life of the music rather well imo.

I had a pair of DT900 Pro X and found them rather bland.
Thank you. But one thing I was interested in was the lower impedance of either the DT990 80 ohm or the DT900 pro X 48 ohm, since I want the versatility of using laptops, phones etc when needed. Most of the time I listen to speakers. It's just for those occasions when I have to "tone it down" to keep the peace with family and neighbours.

One thing I had misgivings about is the fact that, generally speaking, the lower the impedance the lower the sound quality, due to the weight of the heavier gauge voice coil wire needed to carry the higher current. Both the DT990 80 ohm and the DT900 pro x at 48 ohm are considered low impedance compared to the 250 and 600 ohm versions of the DT990.

However, the new Stella .45 drivers in the DT900 pro X have extra light coil wire made of copper plated aluminium. Beyer say half the weight.
That would seem to solve the problem of heavy low impedance voice coils. I found it explained in this blog on the Beyer website:

"An extremely thin copper-clad aluminium wire is used for the voice coil. With a diameter of just 60 µm, this wire is as thin as a human hair. To improve its durability, the wire is also given a special coating. The density of the composite material is only half that of pure copper, but still boasts excellent electric conductivity. Weighing around 80 mg, the weight of the 3.2 mm long voice coil is considerably less........"

I thought the technical explanations were very good. You just have to mentally edit out the marketing blurb.

There is also a video which shows factory production, all made in Germany, but you do also have sit through some marketing propaganda.

So, I have decided to get the DT900 pro x. and see how I get on with them. I'm now 68 so most phones will be way better than my organic in-head mics. The buggers currently roll off at 13k.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back